i need to find my /usr/share/terminfo

Reaction score
can someone please tell me where i can find this on my working mac ?

i have found a way that i might be able to save and restore everything on my other computer and find the mac partition that i lost on an aborted windows bootcamp and i am told that using this info - /usr/share/terminfo and the program TESTDISK i might just be able to save my stuff.

Please please please tell me where to find and copy this off my working mac.

Thanx in advance for your help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
terminfo is in /usr/share. You'll need to access it through the Terminal.

OP
D
Reaction score
im a pleb when it comes to this sorry.

can you please explain a little more detailed what the terminal is and how i access it?

many thanx.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What exactly do you need terminfo for? There is probably a much easier and user-friendly way to accomplish whatever it is you're trying to do (I'm still confused by your original goal). You very likely don't need to use terminfo.

If you do need to copy it somewhere, do the following (this is a non-Terminal way - forgot about this way the first time around):
1. Open up a Finder window.
2. Push Shift-Command-G.
3. In the box, type /usr/share.
4. Find the terminfo folder and copy where needed.

OP
D
Reaction score
OK new problem...i can't seem to be able to get terminal to change directories to read off my usb so that i can get testdisk to run :-(

(I really should have just backed this all up more frequently!!)

I am in terminal after having booted up of snow leopard disks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your usb drive should be at /Volumes/NAME OF DRIVE. For instance, my thumb drive is at /Volumes/ZEUS/. To get there at the command line, I would type the following:
Code:
cd /Volumes/ZEUS/
Is that what you're having trouble with?

OP
D
Reaction score
i think i can get that far in that when i type it in it accepts it and goes to the next line

-bash-3.2#

then i try and type in 'sudo ./testdisk' which should start the testdisk program that is on the thumb drive but all i get is :

-bash-3.2: sudo: command not found

i feel like i am getting closer but still soooooooo far coz i really am swimming blind.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The # at the end of the prompt means you are running as root. In other words, you don't need the sudo at the beginning.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanx for yr help vansmith and sorry to keep coming back with dumb qs but if that is the case then i guess i cant actually even change directories at all away from the root to the thumb drive as there is always a # at the end no matter what.

even after i type

-bash-3.2# cd/volumes/UNTITLED

I still get the next line saying

-bash-3.2#

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-bash-3.2# cd/volumes/UNTITLED
should be
Code:
cd /Volumes/UNTITLED
(assuming of course that your thumb drive is titled UNTITLED).

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for continuos replies.

my thumb drive is called UNTITLED but the "-bash-3.2#" is just automatically at the start of each line when i press return. i am not actually typing it. I just type

cd /volumes/UNTITLED and then hit return

OP
D
Reaction score
...so somehow i actually got this working and now i get the following message...

'you need the Rosetta software to run testdisk. The Rosetta installer is in Optional Installs on your Mac OS X installation disc.'

Isn't that the disk i am booting off ??? Hw can i get it to see it??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.