I need Google Mail but want to keep Mail as default

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
I need Google Mail only to be able to have access to a colleagues diary; so just for a specific purpose. I use Mail and wish to keep, this as my default. But when you sign up for a Google account it seems to assume you want IT as your default.

There must be a way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are we talking Gmail on a computer...or the Google Mail mobile app on a phone or tablet?

- Nick

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
Are we talking Gmail on a computer...or the Google Mail mobile app on a phone or tablet?

- Nick
.... computer. I hadn't even considered using my iphone for this. But I suppose it might be a secondary but unlikely option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I need Google Mail only to be able to have access to a colleagues diary; so just for a specific purpose. I use Mail and wish to keep, this as my default. But when you sign up for a Google account it seems to assume you want IT as your default.

There must be a way.
Can you clarify what you mean by "I use Mail and wish to keep"? I presume you have a mail provider somewhere and that you use the Mail application to access the messages there. You can add Gmail as an account there, if what you want is email into that account and not into the other, and you can switch between them easily. I do that here. But you said you want to share a calendar, which implies more than just email. Gmail has a web interface that you can get to with any browser, and I would presume it has access to the calendar, but I don't know how you would share that with another person.

Maybe if you tell us what the end objective is we can find a technical solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do you actually need google mail (gmail), or just a google account? If you don't give out your google email address, you won't receive anything there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
.... computer. I hadn't even considered using my iphone for this. But I suppose it might be a secondary but unlikely option.

Thanks for clarifying.;)

When you mention "Mail"...if you're talking about the Apple "Mail" app...the Apple Mail app is simply an email client app...which allows you to use one app to get all email from all accounts in a single place.

Apple Mail (in and of itself) is not an email account.

As an example (just checked)...I have approximately 18 different email accounts setup for the Apple Mail app to pull all my emails into a single location. But if I want to...I could go to gmail.com (mail.google.com)...and log into my gmail account...and get my gmail directly.

But this is not necessary...since the Apple Mail app fetch's all my gmail for me without needing to log into my gmail account directly.

- Nick

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macinwin write: Maybe if you tell us what the end objective is we can find a technical solution?

So here goes....
My motorcycle tutor Andies uses a Google calendar to arrange rides with his tutors - I am one of them. He says...
"
Can you please let me know your google email account, or one linked to Google? If you don’t have one, you’ll need to create one. Without that I cannot share calendar."

I'm a very simple person and just use the Mail I get with my iMac and previous mac computers. I use the Apple provided calendar all the time. But it seems Andries has a PC and Google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My motorcycle tutor Andies uses a Google calendar to arrange rides with his tutors - I am one of them. He says...
"
Can you please let me know your google email account, or one linked to Google? If you don’t have one, you’ll need to create one. Without that I cannot share calendar."

He seems to be sharing his calendar already, so I would think all you would have to do is subscribe to it Wait you should be able to do quite easily:

Take a look here:
Subscribe to calendars on Mac

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yeah, if he's sharing his calendar maybe you can subscribe. However, bear in mind that the Apple Mail app does not have a calendar function. The Calendar app has the ability to subscribe to calendars. You can also get a gmail account and maybe share his calendar via your browser. Bottom line, Mail should not be involved at all both because it has no calendar function and that you can use Gmail entirely with a browser like Safari without putting anything about Gmail into Mail.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

There must be a way.
davowolf, if you dont have a Google account already then you are one of the few and bravo for you. I think that there must be an easier way to share a calendar than creating a Google account and all that entails. I think it is a little unreasonable for another party to expect you to do so just for calendar sharing.
I would look into using the native Calendar app to subscribe to the other persons calendar as Jake suggests in Post #9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@Rod
I would look into using the native Calendar app to subscribe to the other persons calendar as Jake suggests in Post #9 /QUOTE]

Hmmm... did you not see my same suggestion in #8 post Rod??? ;)

And yes, a much easier and more normal method.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe the only way to share a Google Calendar is to make it public, which I assume the tutor does not want to do, which is understandable.

@davowolf, see this article,

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Poor scanning on my part, sorry. one of the downsides of using the iOS MF app on the iPhone, cant scroll back to previous posts.:(

Reaction score
Once you establish a gmail account, you can easily "see it" in Mac Mail if you wish.

Go to Mail —> Preferences —> Accounts, hit the "+" icon, click "Google," enter the email or phone you used to register gmail, and Bob's your Uncle. :)  Screenshot  2020-11-13 at 17.53.29.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.