I *HATE* Iphoto, i have thousands of pics . Any Reccs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic
That's what's NICE about iPhoto lol... you make albums instead of folders? It's basically the same exact thing... except you can click library to view every single photo you have, OR you can click the individual albums to see only what's inside of them. i love the organization in iphoto... way better than windows i think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I think something just clicked. So now I'm going into finder>iPhoto Library and changing all my folders to names that I can recognize instead of "Album 108" and so on. Does anyone have a faster way to do this seeing as I have about 3300 photos in over 100 albums?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... dragging the "size viewer" thing in the bottom right corner so all the picture previews are quite small... highlighting large amounts of photos at a time and moving them all at once instead of one at a time. that's about the only advice i can give you to speed it up. I haven't figured out how smart-albums work yet. I'm just fine with the semi-intelligent albums myself :)

I hope that helped at least a little bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
Yeah, but when i open my iPhoto library folder it opens and theres folders labeled, Original(3.5G), Data(171.4MB), Modified(462.9MB) and others but... So which one should I alter? Do I have to go in and alter all 3? Would it be easier to just go in and reload all the pictures into iPhoto and recreate the whole labeling process from the ground up and how would anyone sugesst doing this to start a good organizing method from the get go? Oh and welcome here Bethany!! All these questions aren't directed at you specifically.O:)
I've had a mac for almost a year and have found it very easy to use and etremely intuitive but I still haven't been able to grock this app and its starting to become a challenge that I can't let go of. You know what I mean, like a bloody dog with a frisbee.LOL

Reaction score
I think ACDSEE is by far the best photo browsing application. iPHOTO really lacks that capability, as it forces you to store all of your folders/pictures into a database. To make things worse, it copies the photo instead of the location into the database, which means you end up having a huge repository on your local hard drive.

I also tried Aperture, which is a little better but it also does the same thing. By far I think JustLooking is a great app for quickly viewing a picture, and the CocoviewX.

While I think it is a good idea to simplify applications for most users, it is a pain in the butt for the power users. I like to know the location of my files, as I can keep track of where each file is. When it is controlled by an application, it is easy to accidentally delete things.

Again, I got to hand it to Microsoft for creating a better file management application than Apple (Explorer kicks Finders ***). However, I will also admit with some tweaking, Finder is bearable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-933, PB-1.25, TiBook-1Ghz
Adobe Lightroom. Sooo easy to use, and is actually quite a powerful editor as well. As an organizer it's excellent. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but when i open my iPhoto library folder it opens and theres folders labeled, Original(3.5G), Data(171.4MB), Modified(462.9MB) and others but... So which one should I alter? Do I have to go in and alter all 3? Would it be easier to just go in and reload all the pictures into iPhoto and recreate the whole labeling process from the ground up and how would anyone sugesst doing this to start a good organizing method from the get go? Oh and welcome here Bethany!! All these questions aren't directed at you specifically.O:)
I've had a mac for almost a year and have found it very easy to use and etremely intuitive but I still haven't been able to grock this app and its starting to become a challenge that I can't let go of. You know what I mean, like a bloody dog with a frisbee.LOL

Sorry it's been so long I haven't checked back on this thread in a while. I think i get what you're saying... like when you originally load a picture into iPhoto there's just one of them... then you modify it and then there's 2 files on your computer... the original and modified version. I've never seen those two go into separate folders onto the iPhoto viewer but.. here. I don't really know how to explain to you other than to show you my screen and how I do it. this isn't even my computer, it's my dad's... so I don't have many photos, but I'll try to show you what i mean.

You can rename and folder by double clicking on it (i also have that in the photo" ... I'm sure you already know that but I'm a little bit confused on what you're asking. I'm not exactly computer savvy but I do understand iPhoto and the easy stuff :) once you get the hang of it.. it's a breeze. If you want a clean slate you can go ahead and start over but I think that'll be way more hassle than need be

4yja36f.png

if that didn't help, I'm sorry :( I'm not sure if I get what you're asking but maybe that helped a little? haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah and also, the screen shot is not my normal organizing method. When I'm uploading my photos onto the computer, I name the folder the date and activity...Example: "6/27 picnic" and then put all the pictures on there. Then... if a few of them are Myspace worthy (favs) I have a separate album entitled maybe "favorites of me" ... or something of the sort. and the great part is, you can always view ALL the photos you have in your library. which is a feature most photo organizers don't have. then you can click separate folders and they contain the same photos. if you can't remember what folder you put something in, you can ALWAYS find it in library. it's never lost. it might take a little while but it's never lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
If you don't mind spending a few dollars, and a few dollars headed to microsoft for that matter, iView Media Pro is probably the most professional photo organization software available. I'm only just starting to use it but love it already, It doesn't recreate its own folder system, just learns where your photos are stored. I already use Capture One Pro to convert my RAW files into Tiff files, then use CS3 for editing, iView Media Pro fits in as my photo viewer and lightbox. I have used CS2/CS3 Bridge for a long time, but much prefer the speed and layout of iView Media Pro. Its currently at version 3.? and is about to change to Expression Media, so it might be worth waiting for the new version, but as a media viewer it wins hands down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
iPhoto sucks big time ! I hate it !! For once, Microsoft did one thing better than Apple, and thats creating a better photo application which is the Windows Photo Gallery found in Windows Vista. Its so easy to use and you dont need to create a library. You just set the program to access your pictures folder, thats it ! You can then view the images, create slideshows etc.

In the case of iPhoto. Why does it have to create its own photo library ? That sucks big time IMO. Why cant it just access a specific folder I ask it too like Windows Photo Gallery or iView Media. I said will just give it a shot anyway, so I have these pictures all in one folder which is around 1.6 GB, so I add them to iPhoto (ofcourse it stupidly copies each of those pictures and adds them to the "iphoto library" folder). So I said thats fine as long as I can view my photos. But now comes in the stupidity of iPhoto, for some reason, the iphoto library is almost 4 GB rather than 1.6. I mean, what the ?

I love Apple and their OS and their programs are amazing, but not iPhoto. I think its a big shame for this application to have the Apple logo in its "About" section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The only way I'm using iPhoto from now on is if I need the photos in some program that is only compatible with iPhoto, like iWeb.I'll import them, use them, then erase them from iPhoto.

Reaction score
Ok so does anyone know of a free program that will import photos from a camera into a regular file in finder.....similar to the way windows does?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
finder does this on it's own unless your camera is really stubborn.

it should show up/mount as a drive that you can browse just as you did in windows.

Reaction score
In addition to iPhoto I use JetPhoto Studio. It's cool, I could make my own wallpaper for my Sony Ericsson phone, transfer photo to my phone, via wap or bluetooth. Check it out. IMO, it's better than iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I'm in the same boat. I have around 10,000 photos and I want a way to organise them easily. I've not used iPhoto for years as it just ground to a halt with the volume of photos, although they may have fixed it since then.

I've been using iView Media (not Pro) but I'm getting fed up with it. It doesn't allow me to organise photos in the simple way I want to. Maybe I should try Pro?

What I REALLY want is Picasa for Mac! I used Picasa on a laptop when I was travelling and it basically does exactly what I want - you can organise photos in a quick and easy manner without any faffing. Shame Google have no timescale for releasing a Mac version.

With all the fantastic software available for the Mac I'm surprised nobody's come up with a good open source photo organiser yet. Any other recommendations most welcome.

Reaction score
I downloaded this software and it sort of looks like picassa, without the picture editing abilities. I think it's relatively new.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24788/photonator

==

Product Description:
Photonator is an image management app for people who feel constricted by iPhoto. Use a simple clicking interface to create complex queries for your images based on all available metadata. Even tag your photos based on location and the people in them to further refine searching.

In addition Photonator helps manage panoramas and bracketed photos by letting you group the source files and then associate result files until you get things perfect. It also contains functions for finding duplicate files on your hard drive as well as database repair tools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
80GB 6G iPod Classic, 15" 1GHZ Powerbook G4 1GB RAM 60GB HDD
Adobe has a pretty good photo application. Not photoshop. It comes with Adobe Photo Downloader. Hopefully it's not just for Windows...

Reaction score
I organize my pics manually by Year/Quarter/Event and this has worked well for 15+ years of pics.

As for viewers, I find GQView on Linux is by far the most convenient. If you are feeling adventurous, you can actually install (compile) it with macports + Apple X11. Main downside is now apparent X11 video acceleration so it's not nearly as fast as it is on linux.

No Mac Picasa is a shame, and I have a feeling this is a political thing with Google+Apple love on MacTV, so google staying out of iPhoto turf.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac
I also hate Iphoto........except for the slide shows it makes. If it wasn't for that it would be gone. I just made a "my photos" folder on my desktop and store everything there. WTH is with the "rolls" in Iphoto? Pretty lame IMO, I mean come on keep the darn name that I named it. Plus I really can't stand trying to hunt my photo's down though 6 different folders.... I also use CS3/ bridge for my photo's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.