I deleted libstdc++.6.0.9 from usr/lib folder and now my mac won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I get the feeling much more is at work here. libstdc++ was deprecated by Apple three years ago and as this developer notes, "libstdc++ is occasionally needed for some legacy applications, especially those that must run on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard." So, with that, I have to know: what else did you edit as per these instructions?

+1!!

And I'm glad that an Administrator added such comments as I also understood the file was basically kaput years ago and have no idea why it would need to be messed with or what the poster was attempting. Anyway, not normal even close to current Mac stuff I'd say!! :Confused:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So, more info. This page for some coding framework (I don't really understand what it is) notes something similar: libstdc++ was the standard C++ library prior to 10.9. That said (and this isn't surprising since it has only been deprecated), libstdc++ is still very much alive in /usr/lib/. For all I know then, Apple may still be using it for critical work (however much they've basically abandoned it). I'll have to think more about this in the morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Pacifist

One solution I know that could help, without reinstalling the OS (and knowing what OS you had to start with) is to use Pacifist and extract the libstdc++.6.0.9 file form the OS X Installer and put it back where it came from.

TattooedMac you are the best. I registered on this forum only to say THANKS.

Using Pacifist on a "Install Mac OSX" Installer i was able to extract "libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib" from OSX Installer.

I have OSX 10.8.5 installed and i only have OSX 10.6 Installer... anyway i tried the "libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib" from OSX 10.6 to OSX 10.8.5 - IT WORKS SO FAR !!!

btw. i used APPLE+R during startup to boot 10.8.5 into "Recovery mode" and used Terminal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
TattooedMac you are the best. I registered on this forum only to say THANKS.

Using Pacifist on a "Install Mac OSX" Installer i was able to extract "libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib" from OSX Installer.

I have OSX 10.8.5 installed and i only have OSX 10.6 Installer... anyway i tried the "libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib" from OSX 10.6 to OSX 10.8.5 - IT WORKS SO FAR !!!

btw. i used APPLE+R during startup to boot 10.8.5 into "Recovery mode" and used Terminal

YW and glad to help. Pacifist is a powerful little App, and is always in my arsenal of Utilities. . .

Reaction score
Hey there,

So was searching this morning about this same issue and came across this thread. For people with this problem in the future or still have it, i was able to fix it.

First, 'broken record' back your stuff up! lol

1. I was able to boot from a backup, i'm not a computer wiz, so im not sure how or if it would work from a bootable osx drive.
2. I copied the libstdc++.6.0.9. from my bootable
3. Pasted it in the /usr/lib on my Original drive that wouldn't boot.(I was an idiot and deleted trying to install something)
4. Verified disk permissions on that drive, which i then got this "User differs on "usr/lib/libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib"; should be 0; user is 502"
5. Repaired disk permission then shutdown computer, restarted and work perfect!

Eric

C

chas_m

I sure wish SOMEONE who did this would tell us what application they were trying to install that had this boneheaded instruction in it so that we could warn others.

Reaction score
I sure wish SOMEONE who did this would tell us what application they were trying to install that had this boneheaded instruction in it so that we could warn others.
I was installing a cracked version of Altiverb 7, part of the installation was to replace that file with one in the crack, serves me right!! lol

C

chas_m

I think you know how we feel about piracy around here, so I'll just say I hope there's been a good lesson learned about using illegal software here.

Reaction score
noob here, desperately looking for help

Hi everyone. This just happened to me. In fact, I made it happen. I'm to blame.
I run OSX 10.8.5. No OS backup.
There is no way I can boot in Safe or Recovery mode (Hackintosh in this case, but I also have a 27" iMac 2012)
I did backup the dylib file (copied it to desktop, I think. I would have to look for it).
Is there any way I can take out the SSD drive, open it in my iMac, and restore the file to its original location?
If so, will I have permission issues? Would this work? how do I restore disk permissions? Is there any other way?

I have zero programming or "typing commands in terminal" background

Thanks in advance for your help.
And sorry for bad english!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We do not discuss anything regarding a Hackintosh in our forums. Therefore, we will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.