I cant see my Emails

Reaction score
I can't see my emails

Hi; Since yesterday , my emails have dissapeared , the mail Icon is in the desktop, but when I click it it never shows the email folders, and most of the options in the menu bar are greyed out , Im using Mac OSx 10.6.8
can someone please suuget a fix for this?
thank you
Mariano

I had the same problem happen.. But I am using OS 10.9.2
However, your problem may respond to the same Fix that I used
that 'repaired ' mine.

Go to Applications -> Library -> Preferences -> (something that bears the tag:
com.apple.mail.plist or the like.)

Drag that File to the Trash. Shutdown, then Restart your computer.

Hope that works.. if you haven't already done so.

Your using an old OS. no longer supported by Apple. So, there won't be
any Updates that might help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Moving the com.apple.mail.plist file to the desktop is a lot safer and it just may be including some needed email stuff. Just don't Trash it completely in case it might be needed.

Reaction score
I can't see my Emails

Moving the com.apple.mail.plist file to the desktop is a lot safer and it just may be including some needed email stuff. Just don't Trash it completely in case it might be needed.

Exactly correct. I should have included: "Don't Empty your Trash with the apple.mail.plist file there... since you may need something in the file, later ; in which case you can still
access it.

So long as the file is moved out of Applications/Library/Preferences to ? the Desktop
or elsewhere... the same result is achieved.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm pretty lost on this, but your last message suggests that:

a. the emails are stored on the provider's server, not your mac
b. your provider is blocking you for "over use" (whatever that means -- maybe your POP mailbox is full?)

So it would seem to me that the first step in fixing this issue is to get back in good standing with the provider by managing your email through the web browser and downloading/removing old emails you don't need.

Sorry about that ;
The emails are stored in the Imac, the provider only keep the mail in there until they are downloaded to the computer. So my problem is that I can't access the Imac Email database
more than 9000 emails from 3 years,
thank you for your interest
Mariano

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm not understanding your problem correctly either, but if your Mail's email is on your Mac, you should be able to access it, even though various methods may be needed.

As mentioned the normal location for your Mail email will be in two folders:
~/Library/Mail
~/Library/Mail Downloads

Those are the default locations and folders.

So you should be able to move or import all your "missing" emails using the Finder or Mail's Import option. Using the latter often has some disadvantages if it doesn't work properly. Like all imported messages shown with the incorrect date or as all unread etc. and often attachments missing.

If I recall, the old Eudora email Assistant and/or Emailchemy or whatever their proper name did a better job and should still work in OS X 10.6.8.

PS: Separate email text messages can be viewed and opened with Text Edit or TextWrangler if you get desperate. But any included attachments will just show as code text. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi; Thank you for your help, but in my Mac OS X 10.6.8 there is no such a thing as
Com.apple.mail.plist in my system,,there is a lot of cache plist ,version plist and other but no sign of Mail.plist
thank you for your help
regards
Mariano

I had the same problem happen.. But I am using OS 10.9.2
However, your problem may respond to the same Fix that I used
that 'repaired ' mine.

Go to Applications -> Library -> Preferences -> (something that bears the tag:
com.apple.mail.plist or the like.)

Drag that File to the Trash. Shutdown, then Restart your computer.

Hope that works.. if you haven't already done so.

Your using an old OS. no longer supported by Apple. So, there won't be
any Updates that might help you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi sorry but i cant find Library/mail , or library/Mail Download, maybe I will have to put another email client and hope that it finds it..
The import Mailboxes option on Mail is grayed out like many of the options in the menu bar

thank you
I guess I'm not understanding your problem correctly either, but if your Mail's email is on your Mac, you should be able to access it, even though various methods may be needed.

As mentioned the normal location for your Mail email will be in two folders:
~/Library/Mail
~/Library/Mail Downloads

Those are the default locations and folders.

So you should be able to move or import all your "missing" emails using the Finder or Mail's Import option. Using the latter often has some disadvantages if it doesn't work properly. Like all imported messages shown with the incorrect date or as all unread etc. and often attachments missing.

If I recall, the old Eudora email Assistant and/or Emailchemy or whatever their proper name did a better job and should still work in OS X 10.6.8.

PS: Separate email text messages can be viewed and opened with Text Edit or TextWrangler if you get desperate. But any included attachments will just show as code text. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you use Find Any File when you did your searching??

Stoplight (aka: Spotlight) is basically useless for locating and such files and folders.

Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File
Find Any File for Mac | MacUpdate

I jet did a quick check on two of our Macs running 10.6.8 and all have at least three various "apple.mail.plist" files.

So if FAF can't find them or any appropriate "mail" folders, I'd suggest that Mail was never setup or got completely Trashed somehow.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi sorry but i cant find Library/mail , or library/Mail Download, maybe I will have to put another email client and hope that it finds it..
The import Mailboxes option on Mail is grayed out like many of the options in the menu bar

thank you

Your user library/mail folder is hidden by default if you're running Lion or above. The way to view that folder is to open Finder, press "Go" from the top menu, then press "Go to Folder" and enter your user library in the dialog that opens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He shouldn't need to do that as he said in the original post that SL 10.6.8 was being used. But one never knows and the info doesn't hurt - just in case... ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep, you're right. Need my second cup of coffee. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, you're right. Need my second cup of coffee. ;)

No problem and it may have even helped, but probably too early in the day for any beer or wine need or excuse. ;)

BTW and OT: I like your avitor whatever model it is, but of similar vintage we were privileged with a visit of a restored B-25B to our local airport just north of us a week or so ago, and I was delighted to see and hear it fly over our house with its twin supercharged WRIGHT R-2600-13 engines. What a neat sound!!

It was setup for viewing and paid flights:
$5.00 for close outside view
$15.00 for inside "crawl" tour ;)
$400.00 for inside seat and flight tour
$600.00 for navigator seat next to the pilot next to a window and flight tour.

We just did a drive by peak through the fence as we had previously done a tour through a Lancaster at the Nanton History Airport in Alberta when we were there a few years ago.

Talk about stark and cramped. Just amazing, just like the sound of their Merlin engines.

Sorry to go OT.... :D ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I too love old aircraft. The one in my avatar is a Douglas B-26D which was used in the later years of WWII and up until the first several years of the Vietnam war. This particular series of B-26 was fitted with two Allison R-2800 air cooled engines. Loud and noisy (especially inside the cockpit) but one of the fastest prop driven attack aircraft we had during WWII.

The B-25 Mitchell is also famous. You might remember the "Dolittle Raid on Tokyo" in 1942 was made with B-25s flown off a carrier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.