I can't burn a DVD with Burn? (MacBook Pro)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Good point. We should probably ask an OP when he/she purchased their Mid 2012 MBP rather than assuming it's 5 years old.

I really often question the statements offered so often in these forums that a 5 year old Mac is really old and beyond it's prime and should be replaced.

I really don't and cannot agree, especially when the users circumstances are not known and is often not fair to the poster.

Or are there just a lot of Apple sales or stock supporters involved and providing such advice…???

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand where you're coming from Patrick. However, the Mid 2012 standard MacBook Pro (not the retina model) is different in that it was being sold up until late 2016. Some of them purchased during that time are still covered under Apple Care if it was added on along with the original purchase.

I agree though that generally a Mac purchased in 2012 is close to being no longer supported as far as Apple is concerned.

Reaction score
I have a problem reading my burned DVD-R in my 4K BR DVD player. I hope someone can help me please because I'm at an impasse.

Using Burn software, I can burn an original VOB file (transferred from the Video_TS folder of a recorded DVD) to a blank DVD-R on my MacBook Pro (Late 2013), and it will play in my Panasonic 4K BR DVD player....no problem. However, I wanted to trim and join segments of the VOB file and then burn them. I don't have a VOB editing software, so I downloaded Handbrake software and converted the VOB file to MP4. I then put the MP4 file in TunesKit Video Cutter software and trimmed and joined segments of this file. I then loaded the completed/edited MP4 file into Burn and burned it to a blank DVD-R. It reads fine on my mac but my DVD player cannot read it. Thus, I can burn the original VOB file to a DVD and read it in my DVD player, but once I convert and edit it, the burned DVD cannot be read in my player. Is the problem using the free software to convert (Handbrake) and/or edit the converted file (TunesKit Video Cutter)? Are there other free software to accomplish these tasks that you recommend? Any other suggestions?? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It would appear that the format has changed with the conversion and that's why your DVD player can not read it.

Hang on for some more answers. Several of our members have much more experience with this than I do.

Reaction score
Thank you, chscag. I appreciate the quick response, especially on New Years Eve!

Your suggestion makes sense. I hope someone has a solution.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Insert the DVD that you burned into the Mac and open it in the Finder. If you see a recognizable video file type (mp4, mov, avi. etc) it was burned as a data disc. Many DVD players can't read that type of disc correctly. if it was burned properly you should see a Video_TS folder with at lest one file inside that has a .vob extension.

Try the following and see if this works:
1. Open Burn and select the Video tab.
2. Name the disc if you like. For test purposes stick with a simple name.
3. Switch the drop down menu from vcd toDVD-Video
4. Drag the video file into the window and start the burn. When it's done, eject the DVD and try it in your DVD player.

If that does not work there is a small downward pointing arrow near the bottom of the Burn window. Click there and choose Force MPEG encoding.

Reaction score
Insert the DVD that you burned into the Mac and open it in the Finder. If you see a recognizable video file type (mp4, mov, avi. etc) it was burned as a data disc. Many DVD players can't read that type of disc correctly. if it was burned properly you should see a Video_TS folder with at lest one file inside that has a .vob extension.

Try the following and see if this works:
1. Open Burn and select the Video tab.
2. Name the disc if you like. For test purposes stick with a simple name.
3. Switch the drop down menu from vcd toDVD-Video
4. Drag the video file into the window and start the burn. When it's done, eject the DVD and try it in your DVD player.

If that does not work there is a small downward pointing arrow near the bottom of the Burn window. Click there and choose Force MPEG encoding.

Thanks for your suggestions, Sydude. Yes, I had checked DVD-Video when I burned it, and when I opened it, there was a Video_TS folder with a VOB file.

There is an mpg file from the previous burn already on my desk top so it appears it had done mpeg encoding. But per your suggestion,I tried to burn a new one anyway and I selected the 'Force MPEG encoding'. It put a second mpg file on the desktop. It didn't help, the DVD player couldn't read it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It didn't help, the DVD player couldn't read it.

Do you have the specs and info handy for your 4K Blu-Ray DVD player? Maybe that will help us to figure something out for you.

Our Moderator "Slydude" may be able to get at the problem with the additional info you can supply.

Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Our Moderator "Slydude" may be able to get at the problem with the additional info you can supply.

Thanks.
You're betting a lot on my ability Charlie?:phew Don't bet too much. I wouldn't want you to start the year with a financial setback.:sd

The info about the specific DVD player involved is certainly worth looking at since what's been done so far should have worked. Especially if the player in question is anywhere near current. I'm not familiar with TunesKit Video Cutter but that might be the weak link in the system. I think I've done this successfully before but I used QuickTime Player as the editor. I'll see if I can give that a try later today.

Reaction score
Sure, happy to give you the info. But I'm not sure why it would be the player since it will play a disc if the unedited VOB file is burned to it.

It is model DMP-UB900. Here is a screen shot from the 'playable media' page of the manual.
Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 2.46.46 PM.png

Please let me know what other info you need. Thanks!

Reaction score
You're betting a lot on my ability Charlie?:phew Don't bet too much. I wouldn't want you to start the year with a financial setback.:sd

The info about the specific DVD player involved is certainly worth looking at since what's been done so far should have worked. Especially if the player in question is anywhere near current. I'm not familiar with TunesKit Video Cutter but that might be the weak link in the system. I think I've done this successfully before but I used QuickTime Player as the editor. I'll see if I can give that a try later today.

Slydude, I first tried Quick Time to edit the the original VOB file. But when I put the edited MOV files into Burn, I kept getting an 'Authoring failed' pop up window. I did some research and read that others have had this problem, and someone said some files from Quick Time can't be burned by Burn. After several attempts, I just gave up. That is when I went to HandBrake and TunesKit Video Cutter.

I've reached out to support for both of these softwares and explained the issue. Maybe they have some insight. Thanks, again.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the problem is the Video Cutter software. Which free editing software (trimming and joining of video) do you recommend that once burned to DVD, it will play in a DVD player? Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not entirely sure what is happening yet. QuickTime Player usually works and that what I'd normally suggest for this basic editing. iMovie will get the job done but frankly find the interface overkill for simple edits lkethis. That could just be because I'm not as comfortable with the interface as I used to be.

Hopefully someone else has a suggestion for another app that will work.

Maybethis coming weekend I'llhave time to experiment a bit and see if I can work out why QuickTime Player didn't work.

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what is happening yet. QuickTime Player usually works and that what I'd normally suggest for this basic editing. iMovie will get the job done but frankly find the interface overkill for simple edits lkethis. That could just be because I'm not as comfortable with the interface as I used to be.

Hopefully someone else has a suggestion for another app that will work.

Maybethis coming weekend I'llhave time to experiment a bit and see if I can work out why QuickTime Player didn't work.

Thanks for trying, Slydude. I appreciate your effort in trying to resolve this problem.

Just to clarify something I said earlier...when I use Quick Time to trim VOB clips ONLY and not join them, Burn gives me the the 'Authoring Failed' pop-up window. The mov clips were never converted to mpg by Burn. When I use Quick Time to trim AND join the segments, I get the same result as using TunesKit Video Cutter, i.e., Burn converts the file to mpg and successfully burns it to disc; the disc will play on my mac, but it can't be read on DVD player. I may try iMovie, but agree about the interface. In fact, I find most of the interfaces on these editing softwares frustrating to use with too steep of a learning curve.

Leave it to me to come up with a problem that doesn't make sense. Thanks again!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for trying,
Leave it to me to come up with a problem that doesn't make sense. Thanks again!!
Shhh. Don'y say that too loudly. That's usually my job. If you take that over the folks around here are going to wonder what I'm doing here. :)

Reaction score
Shhh. Don'y say that too loudly. That's usually my job. If you take that over the folks around here are going to wonder what I'm doing here. :)

Copy that! Your secret is safe with me :Lips-Are-Sealed:

BTW, when you used QT for editing movie files and used Burn to burn the files to a disc, were you able to play the discs in a DVD player? I'm only asking because I get the feeling paid edited software is required to be able to play burned discs containing edited movie files on a DVD player. Just a guess. If you have, I can send you the original VOB file to see if you can edit it, burn it to DVD, and get it to play in your DVD player.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TBH it has been a while since burned any DVDs. I think it played fine but I don't remember for sure.I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.