How to set the default Search location in a Finder Window

Reaction score
One of those small things that cause irritation out of proportion to their apparent significance and time wasting out of proportion to the task.

In a Finder Window, search window top right, how do I default the search to the current folder and children?

At the moment the search starts by searching whole Mac and I have to switch it manually to the current folder.

My way of working is to use the top Search for computer wide searches, I only ever use the search in the context of a folder if I want items from that folder (or children)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Finder > Preferences > Advanced --> When performing a search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Forgive me, in advance, if I have misunderstood your query.

In Finder/Preferences/General you can choose what is shown when a new Finder window opens. I have chosen Documents.

In Finder/Preferences/Advanced you can also set the scope of the search. I have chosen Search the Current Folder.

So, when I open Finder, I am presented with a list of folders within Documents. If I then select any of those folders, any search that I then carry out is within that folder only.

Is that what you want?

Bob - I hadn't realised you had already replied when I posted my response.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.