How to mirror full iMac screen to external monitor with different aspect ratio?

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can help. I have an old 2009 iMac running El Capitan (it can't run any later OS), and the screen keeps blacking out for minutes at a time, so I want to mirror the iMac on a spare old monitor I have with 4:3 aspect ratio.

Connecting via Mini Display port to VGA, mirroring works fine except that no matter what resolution I choose in the Display preferences, the iMac display is automatically cropping to the 4:3 aspect ratio that the other screen uses (there are thick black bands on the left and right of the iMac screen).

What I want is for the iMac to display as normal, but the external monitor to have black bands on the top and bottom (thus mirroring the entire iMac screen).
Is this possible via System Preferences, or if not, is there an app which will make it possible?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Here's an article that explains how to set the primary display in OS X. It's an older article, but it should apply to El Capitan. Basically, you need to make sure your iMac is set as the primary.

That said, the fact that the screen on your iMac keeps flaking out suggests that this problem may not be fixable. When this happens, the iMac may be switching to that external monitor automatically as using it as the new primary display. If this is the case, you likely are out of luck. But give the tips in the article a whirl to make sure everything is set right.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Those directions should work with El Capitan. Sometimes I find it difficult to grab that little white line to drag to the right place, but it does work.

OP
P
Reaction score
Here's an article that explains how to set the primary display in OS X. It's an older article, but it should apply to El Capitan. Basically, you need to make sure your iMac is set as the primary.

That said, the fact that the screen on your iMac keeps flaking out suggests that this problem may not be fixable. When this happens, the iMac may be switching to that external monitor automatically as using it as the new primary display. If this is the case, you likely are out of luck. But give the tips in the article a whirl to make sure everything is set right.
Thanks for the link.
I can see how it works when using a two-monitor setup, not sure if it'll work when mirroring the screen. Here's hoping!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I understand what you want to do correctly, getting the effect you wish will require experimenting with the resolution settings on that second monitor. Open the Displays preference pane. Find the resolution settings for the monitor with the different aspect ratio and adjust the resolution until you get the desired effect. How to Use Multiple Monitors on Your Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.