how to get wired connection in my room,my router is set up in basement?

Reaction score
Hey guys, so Im having trouble trying to figure out this internet situation for my newly built rig. My bedroom where the computer is set up is upstairs. The router (at&t uverse) is set up in the basement. Now it is set up for wireless but I would really prefer a wire connection, Ive heard its preferable for gaming. Is there any low cost adapter for this situation. I dont think running a wire down to the basement is an option either. Id really appreciate any advice on this!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What signal strength do you have currently? Before trying to find a solution, you might want to see if you have a problem to begin with. Your local speed (within your home) is likely way faster than your Internet speeds, so my guess is that it shouldn't be an issue..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My bedroom where the computer is set up is upstairs. The router (at&t uverse) is set up in the basement. Now it is set up for wireless but I would really prefer a wire connection, Ive heard its preferable for gaming. Is there any low cost adapter for this situation. I dont think running a wire down to the basement is an option either. Id really appreciate any advice on this!

If you want a wired connection...there are pretty much only two ways to do this:

- Run a wire (ethernet cable) to the basement where the router is (which you said you didn't want to do).
- Wire the house with ethernet cable so that there's an ethernet outlet in the locations desired (much more involved).

Either way a "wire" of some sort must be run.

- Nick

p.s. Definitely give Raz0rEdge's suggestion consideration.:)

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you absolutely must have a cable, then you can explore Ethernet over Power perhaps with this sort of adapter. I'm not recommending that specific one, but rather showing you what it looks like and how it works, you can find that one or others if you want to go down that path..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
If you absolutely must have a cable, then you can explore Ethernet over Power perhaps with this sort of adapter. I'm not recommending that specific one, but rather showing you what it looks like and how it works, you can find that one or others if you want to go down that path..

I use these type of adapters - one upstairs for a recording device linked to an external security camera, the other for my YouView TV box which is in the next room to the internet router, plus the base adapter plugged into the router. It's a cable option in a way as they use the electricity network in your property to link to the internet through your router. Works like a dream without spaghetti all over the place. The camera is on 24-hours a day, my MBP and TV in use simultaneously several hours a day, plus maybe wifi on iPhone or iPad, without any interruptions in service. Once you have one adapter connected to the router it will pair with others so you don't need a pair for each device. Some will also take more than one device, like the one I bought to go with an pair already in use. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PQL2SSK/

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you for your recommendations. I read all your posts and researched so much. But yesterday my dad gave me this link: https://gearupz.com/best-long-range-routers/. He said he read entire the article, he also contacted to the webmaster and asked them about problem and they persistenly said that if we just need to buy one of those products listed in the article, the problem would be solved quickly. I read it, it seems an affiliate website. I also showed my dad this thread and he still..
Can you help me please..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas it is Dad's house and his decision stands. Just go wifi and save fueds.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well for one thing, who can complain about an article written by time travelers? I mean the article is a 2018 update while the rest of us mere mortals are still navigating 2017.

It looks like they brought back their top choice from the future since that 7 Ghz Quad core is quite impressive. Nearly 1.5x faster than the fastest CPU made by any manufacturer in 2017.

Apart from the fact that there aren't any ACTUAL facts about their assertions, the article is chock full of grammatical errors and basically sh!t.

On a serious note, let's address the issue here with some actual 2017 info. :)

WiFi (regardless of the band, letters, speed and so on) all suffer from the same issue, interference. This interference comes from other devices operating in similar ranges, microwaves, and physical things like floors and walls. If your router is in the basement and you want it to reach the 2nd floor on the opposite side of the house, it just isn't going to happen.

Your best bet (assuming the router has to be in the basement for one reason or another) is to get a network extender and place that on the 1st floor. Now the signal from the router in the basement will be nicely boosted to the 2nd floor and you will be fine.

As far as gaming goes yes having a fast connection is important to avoid lag, but I can almost guarantee that your local WiFi connection is going to be faster than your external Internet connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.