How to charge iPhone 12?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
I recently bought an iPhone 12 to replace my iPhone 7 to be able to access 5G when it becomes available in my area. I bought the Clear Case with MagSafe. The cable that came with the iPhone plus in to the phone but where does one plug in the other end? It doesn't fit into the USB mains socket where I plug my iPad. At the moment I am charging the iPhone with my iPad cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And that will work just fine. The cable with the 12 is lightning at one end and USBc at the other. USBc is the connector on all new Macs, and is the way Apple is going. Your iPad lightning to USB3 cable will work just fine to charge the phone. If you decide you want a separate charging arrangement, I would suggest you look into a wireless charger pad. Apple has them, as does Belkin and Anker. I have one that sits beside my bed and holds the phone up at an angle so I can see the face and use it as an alarm clock while it charges overnight.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
And that will work just fine. The cable with the 12 is lightning at one end and USBc at the other. USBc is the connector on all new Macs, and is the way Apple is going. Your iPad lightning to USB3 cable will work just fine to charge the phone. If you decide you want a separate charging arrangement, I would suggest you look into a wireless charger pad. Apple has them, as does Belkin and Anker. I have one that sits beside my bed and holds the phone up at an angle so I can see the face and use it as an alarm clock while it charges overnight.
Many thanks for that. Since my Mac is not new I won't have use of that until I buy a newer Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
True, but if you look at the various wall chargers these days most of them have USBc ports. So that cord may come into play before you get that new Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
I have the Magsafe charger with clear case which, upon reflection, one really doesn't need. Nevertheless, you can buy from Apple a new kind wall charger that accepts only the USB-c port.

A new MacBook Pro et al only has these ports, too.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's worth lashing out on a good third party cable if you need one such as the Anker PowerLine + which is really tough.
A bad knockoff cable can cause problems like diminished battery life, spontaneous device combustion, damaged charging chip, or worse still, a mangled motherboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
I recently bought an iPhone 12 to replace my iPhone 7 to be able to access 5G when it becomes available in my area. I bought the Clear Case with MagSafe. The cable that came with the iPhone plus in to the phone but where does one plug in the other end? It doesn't fit into the USB mains socket where I plug my iPad. At the moment I am charging the iPhone with my iPad cable.

i too just purchased iphone 12 to replace my 7. i was pleasantly surprised at size and weight compared to 7.
The girl who set up my phone said that I could use my cube and my charging cord from my iPhone 7 to charge the 12.... and not use the cord that came with the 12. in that case you have the option of either buying a different charging cube or doing the wireless option.
it's nice to be able to use the cube and the charging cord from the iPhone 7, however when you go to sell it I'm sure the buyer would like to have those two items unless they already have some.
for now I'm charging with my iPhone 7cube and charger cord. But have ordered a charging cube for the iPhone 12.
still learning all the sweeps instead of home button.
also.. to save on battery, turn off 5g until its in yr area.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you buy the iPhone 12 Mini or the regular size 12?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you buy the iPhone 12 Mini or the regular size 12?
I purchased the regular size 12... it was so close in size to my 7and felt comfortable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see you have a 12 mini.. can you mayb help me?
I received a phone call from DR office but did not get to phone quick enough. he left a message but it was so low I could hardly hear what he was saying.

how does one increase the volume for this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are two settings for volume on your iPhone. One is for the Ringer volume: You can set that from
"Settings", "Sounds & Haptics", "Ringer and Alerts slider". If you wish, you can also select "Change with Buttons" which means you can set the Ringer and Alerts with the up - down buttons on the left side of the phone.

All other volume settings (phone calls, music, etc) you can change with the side buttons (up - down).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.