• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How narc-like are you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Wow! I never thought that such a small get-together could be such a big issue! Even if drinking was involved!
I never had to hide such thing of my parents, in my younger years (*sigh*).
Well, on the other hand, I'm from Europe, where you reach the legal adult age at 18 and where it isn't really illegal to drink alcohol under 21 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Avalon said:
Well, on the other hand, I'm from Europe, where you reach the legal adult age at 18 and where it isn't really illegal to drink alcohol under 21 :D

Hey for us drinking isn't illegal at all! No age no problemo no worries.

OP
T

TylerMoney

If we did it right, we wouldn't have to worry about age as a problem. We shouldn't have ever had an age on drinking. Things would be much better off now; like Europe, drinking would make more sense, and you wouldn't just see people drinking to get plastered...though they'd still do that sometimes ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Strider said:
Hey for us drinking isn't illegal at all! No age no problemo no worries.

I don't know about UK, but over here and the countries around (Germany, France, Belgium) you are not allowed to enter a pub without an adult if you're younger than 16, the lowest legal drinking age. :D
The advantage for us European is that we learn quite soon the effects of alcohol, and therefor learn how to control ourselves...
Well, this is of course generally speaking, some people never learn, and even if you do doesn't mean that sometimes you just party too much... ;-)

OP
T

TylerMoney

But you can still go in with an adult. You can't enter a bar no matter what in the states until you're 21. So everytime we drink before then, it's illegal, thus it's us trying to get away with something. This is what leads americans to have such terrilbe control with drinking. We should be learning young the effects, and it should be a more natural part of our lives. Then it's not this terrible secret, and you're not an alchoholic by the time you're 21.

OP
I

Icarus

Well, I went for a walk with suspect one of one...he denied it. So we'll see how this goes...he said that he would ask his parents about it or something. (I was like, "...great...") but now I don't know who else it could have been that told...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I would say that is such a false statement that somehow has made it's rounds because people like the idea. When I was travelling abroad, people were not more responsible with their alcohol, on average they were the same, just younger. Completely pissed (drunk), walking the streets, passed out in the snow, passed out in the street, passed out everywhere. I don't know if the alcohol companies are the ones that are trying to get american's to start drinking younger, but that idea of younger is better with alcohol is a bunch of bull. Instead of 21 year olds driving drunk, you now have 16 to 18 year olds driving drunk in other countries, even here, just not the amount of numbers as in other countries with the drinking age limit of 16-18. There are good things about a younger age, by the time 5 years go by and they are learning to drink more responsibly then they are only 21-23 while here it's 26, but the good thing about waiting until 21 is that hopefull you have more responsibilities and those will force you to drink a bit more responsibly. I was one of the more responsible drinkers that I knew, but I still gave up drinking because I was a whole lot less responsible then when I was not drinking, I have seen too many people really mess up their life because of drinking, instead of it being a once-in-awhile thing, it became a way of life. And everyone thinks they can beat the statistics and end up being a part of those statistics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not want to idolize drinking, or driving drunk, at all. You're right by saying that "experiences" with alcohol end the same here in Europe as they do in the States, at a much younger age.
And that exactly is the point: At 16, you're still a kid, and as such have no idea what responsibilty means.
At 21 you're an adult, still young of course, but at that age you should have learned about taking responsibility for your own acts. That's why that law exists, in the States. Nevertheless, it doesn't change anything...

I never was so drunk that I passed out, because since my first beer, I learned my limits, and now when to stop. Doesn't mean that I never got drunk. And I never drove drunk, because this would be putting myself and, worse, people around me and on the road in danger.

I guess one thing is clear for everything, being it fast driving, drugs or alcohol:
Some people know their limits and some don't...and this is true for all ages.

OP
I

Icarus

well, I believe my parents KNOW.
I also KNOW that they have not brought it up to me. Hopefully things will stay that way.

However, the worst punishment a parent can give their child in silence and disapointment. I mean, I'd take being yelled at for about 2 hours than my mom and my dad saying, "Mike, we are so disapointed in you." and then they turn around and sit down at the kitchen table silently...that's no fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Rman's and my advice would have helped in that area.. sometimes it pays to listen to us older users :)

OP
I

Icarus

Meh. Now I'm 3 hours away...doubt they'll bring it up and I don't really feel bad for that very reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.