How long did your update take?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
We have our own internet service through the local cable company(time warner) so it is completely separate from the school. and we both get crappy connection and have no clue why.

How fast is it supposed to be? 1mb, 2 mb etc?
A lot depends on distance from the exchange, contention ratio, port forwarding etc.
There's a myriad of reasons, but without more info it's hard to help much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5inch iMac; 4GB RAM; 3.06 Intel Duo
Mine was 762MB. It also changed my desktop back to the default Mac desktop, is that usual?

Anyway, less than 15 minutes total to download, install and restart. Helluva better than the three months and numerous emails back and forth to Microsoft to try and install Vista SP2!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
When I updated yesterday, it took somewhere between 5-15mins, don't know for sure, as I was away from my mac for that amount of time.
Today, I just zero'd out my drive, and cloned back from my 10.6.2 clone, and performing updates again, and this time it is taking about 2hrs!
LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Here's another factor: Do you download directly from the software update module within OS X or do you go to Apple.com and get the combo update directly ? That has always made a difference with me. I only download directly from the site and it never takes more than a couple of minutes. The total install size for the combo was over a gig and didn't take more than a couple minutes, as stated.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
for me the answer to the above is directly.... but today it took soooooooo loooooooooong that I tried both options, and they were identical in time to download!

C

chas_m

It doesn't SEEM slow ... it IS slow!!

Just for comparison purposes:
769242789.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Which means my connection is almost 20 TIMES faster than yours in terms of download speed.

Either you guys signed up for the "slow-pitch" internet "lite" speeds from TW, or you should be calling for a tech to come out and fix that.

Or your roommate is hogging all the bandwidth with his pirating. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.