How do you deal with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm also curious about your view on OS X on a desktop machine CWA... Why would you not advocate the use of an iMac or a MacPro ? Do you think that the cost vs material ratio is far too high, or do you think that the reason OS X is more of a laptop OS is solely because of the track pad and the ergonomics ?

I could see if we were talking strictly about the IT work place, because of certain script environments which only work with Windows, but on the consumer level ? And you know me, I'm the furthest thing from a "Mac-Head", but as I've said not too long ago (last week?) unless Apple goes over board with their insane policies and they trickle down to their desktops and laptop OS', I couldn't possibly imagine any reason for wanting to use Windows (again). Then throw Parallels or VMware Fusion into the works, and what real reason would one have to buy the likes of a Dell etc ?

I used to build my own rigs, never bought a retail branded computer in my life, actually. And even at that, just the thought of what Windows WAS... building a rig would have been 100% more satisfying if I'd been able to put OS X on it !

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm also curious about your view on OS X on a desktop machine CWA... Why would you not advocate the use of an iMac or a MacPro ? Do you think that the cost vs material ratio is far too high, or do you think that the reason OS X is more of a laptop OS is solely because of the track pad and the ergonomics ?

I could see if we were talking strictly about the IT work place, because of certain script environments which only work with Windows, but on the consumer level ? And you know me, I'm the furthest thing from a "Mac-Head", but as I've said not too long ago (last week?) unless Apple goes over board with their insane policies and they trickle down to their desktops and laptop OS', I couldn't possibly imagine any reason for wanting to use Windows (again). Then throw Parallels or VMware Fusion into the works, and what real reason would one have to buy the likes of a Dell etc ?

I used to build my own rigs, never bought a retail branded computer in my life, actually. And even at that, just the thought of what Windows WAS... building a rig would have been 100% more satisfying if I'd been able to put OS X on it !

Doug

Sorry, I shouldn't have said it, I don't want to derail the thread. To me, it all comes down to serviceability, upgrade-ability and interchangeable parts when we're talking desktops.

I'm not saying I'm against Mac desktops, I just don't advocate for them as I do when someone is shopping for a notebook. That's all - and it's not something I want to delve into any deeper here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

I'm there 100% with you. Before getting a Powerbook on a lark, I always built my own PC boxes, and had a very positive experience doing so. I really wish I could build a box for OS X, and continue to hope Apple will ease up some day on 3rd party hardware. There's just not a chance in **** I would ever go back to using Windows solely for the satisfaction of making my own box again.

Reaction score
i tell them

"kiss my gilded lily, you piece of crap pissant"

then, at some point, i sneak over to their house and take a dump in their house shoes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
i tell them

"kiss my gilded lily, you piece of crap pissant"

then, at some point, i sneak over to their house and take a dump in their house shoes.

hahaha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
It's jealously plain and simple. I work with my company's IT helpdesk frequently on analysis issues (that's my job title, Analyst). They know that I use a Mac for a lot of the work that I do and they tell me they love Macs. They also tell me, "off the record", that they pray that our company never moves, in any large degree to replace Windows with Macs. When I asked why they felt that way, they told me they knew they'd be out of a job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
jealousy is a stinky cologne.

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.