How do you convert 192Khz audio to 96Khz?

Reaction score
I'm guessing there ie an obvious solution but Google can't find it.

I have a 192Khz download I can't play. I need to convert it to 96Khz.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What did you download? And there's likely no reason that you can't play it at the higher frequency. Always make posts with excruciating detail, we aren't watching your shoulder to know what you are talking/looking about/at.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I downloaded a 192Khz audio album. I read Macs couldn't handle anything over 96Khz. However, you are correct. I tried to play it on a mini running Mojave and it played. I have no idea why. It is only 9 tracks so it wouldn't be much of a loss if I couldn't play it. Still .. .

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Downloaded what? MP3? WAV? FLAC? AIC? OGG? As long as the audio file is supported by the player, it will play regardless of what the frequency is. High rate MP3's are 320 Khz and provide the best quality of playback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I downloaded a 192Khz audio album. I read Macs couldn't handle anything over 96Khz. However, you are correct. I tried to play it on a mini running Mojave and it played. I have no idea why. It is only 9 tracks so it wouldn't be much of a loss if I couldn't play it. Still .. .
You started with that it needed conversion, then said it wouldn't play, then that it does. So, what is it you now need/want? We cannot read your mind.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
You started with that it needed conversion, then said it wouldn't play, then that it does. So, what is it you now need/want? We cannot read your mind.
I'm saying you've answered my question. Since I understood that anything over 96K wouldn't play I never tried it. This is a 192Khz m4a file and it does play, although I have no idea why. Maybe Macs automatically downsample or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably not, it just plays. No need to get all complex. Don't know where you got the idea that it was unplayable, but clearly it is, so that source is, at best, outdated or unreliable.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It's my understanding that the KHz (frequency) is irrelevant as regards the ability to play the music; it's the audio format (Codec) which is critical - does the Mac recognise it?

In your case, it appears that it does. :) (y)

Ian

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Boy was I wrong. It turns out the DAC connected to my mini plays 192Khz so the mini just sends it out and it works.

Now the question is how do I get Music on my M1 MBP to recognize my iTunes library on an attached HD? I need to do that to see what happens if I try to play a 192Khz track without the DAC.

In iTunes I just opened the program while holding down the OPT key and I could select the attached library. That doesn't seem to work with Music. What's the procedure?

This library is not "organized" in preferences.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
OK, I'm stuck. Every time I try to select the iTunes itl file and load it into Music it crashes. I even tried shutting down and rebooting. Consequently, I can't connect my library to my MBP which means I can't test a 192Khz track to see if it will play. I'm stymied. I think we ought to end this thread until I get everything working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Music, Settings, there is a pane for "Files." You can select the location for your music library there. What happens if you set it to the old iTunes library location?

EDIT: And just out of curiosity, what happens if you just double-click on this audio file? If it is of a format that Music recognizes, it should just start to play. If the format isn't something Music recognizes, that is a separate issue that would need work. You have never told us what kind of audio file it is.

You are leaving a lot of important information out, I think.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Let me add this. There is a known issue in Monterey of AMPLibraryAgent crashing while trying to load an iTunes .itl file into Music. The way things are I cannot attach my iTunes library to my Monterey computer and test whether it can play a 192Khz audio file or not. Until then I am stuck with iTunes on my Mojave mini, which thank goodness, works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The way things are I cannot attach my iTunes library to my Monterey computer and test whether it can play a 192Khz audio file or not
Not true. Copy the file to the Mini. Double click. If it's a format (you STILL haven't given us a clue what that format is) that Music can read, it will play.

and

WHAT IS THE FILE FORMAT?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a known issue in Monterey of AMPLibraryAgent crashing while trying to load an iTunes .itl file into Music.
And yet,

it worked perfectly for me, on my MBP, with Music, in Ventura. ???

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I considered upgrading to Ventura but x.1 appears to be a bit buggy. As far as I have been able to determine the problem only exists on Monterey, naturally! The two previous releases and the next seem to be ok.

I don't know the file format. It is an .itl file. Re-reading your prior note I think you are suggesting just copying the m4a file from the HD on the mini to my MBP. That's a good idea.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
There is a known issue in Monterey

In all sincerity, I've not come across any Music problems at all. Maybe I'm one of the luck ones.

I considered upgrading to Ventura but x.1 appears to be a bit buggy.

Not quite sure that is so; but like you I have deferred my upgrade to Ventura till it gets to .2

This has been my practice with all upgrades. Basically, I'm a coward I suppose;)

Ian

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the tip. First of all it turns out it is an aif file not an m4a. I have no idea what that means. Second, get info says it is a 192 kHz Sample Rate but it plays! I have no idea why. Everything I've read says the DAC only works up to 96 kHz. Did Apple lie?

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
In all sincerity, I've not come across any Music problems at all. Maybe I'm one of the luck ones.

This is specifically a problem with something called AMPLibraryAgent that Music loads to convert an itl file. I only found it by specifically Googling for that name. Supposedly, and I have no way to confirm this, it works on previous OS releases and apparently on the next one but not on Monterey. I will likely move to Ventura on the next update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for the tip. First of all it turns out it is an aif file not an m4a. I have no idea what that means. Second, get info says it is a 192 kHz Sample Rate but it plays! I have no idea why. Everything I've read says the DAC only works up to 96 kHz. Did Apple lie?

Apple format for audio files. No surprise it played, it's Apple's format scheme.

You need to change what you read. You seem to have read a lot of misinformation on this topic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.