How do I...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
My Apple e mail address is different to my iCloud address. I can change my Apple password but how do I recover or change my (forgotten) iCloud password? When I go to iforgot.apple I can only change the apple password. I have tried the Apple help page but this question has been asked by others without getting an answer.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your Apple ID you mean? That is the same as the iCloud address (you might have an @icloud.com) alias to your existing email address...

For example, my apple ID is my primary @gmail.com address, but I can also get in using my @icloud.com variant..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Your Apple ID you mean? That is the same as the iCloud address (you might have an @icloud.com) alias to your existing email address...

For example, my apple ID is my primary @gmail.com address, but I can also get in using my @icloud.com variant..

Thanks for your reply but I don't really understand the answer.
My Apply id is the e mail address I use on my Mac. I have an iCloud e mail address which has a different password to my the one associated with my Apple id and it is the iCloud e mail password that I have forgotten and cannot either recover or reset.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@MacGrumpy

I think I understand your situation.

My guess is that you go a long way back with Apple and that your Apple ID is linked to a personal email address with its own password (PW).

Your iCloud ID was set up later to allow syncing between devices - username is your iCloud.com address and you have different PW for that.

Before going further, can you confirm this is your situation please?

If I'm on the right track, here's an article on how you might deal with this. It's a bit cumbersome, but basically it seems to be a way of "bringing together" your Apple ID and your iCloud ID.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203828

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
@MacGrumpy

I think I understand your situation.

My guess is that you go a long way back with Apple and that your Apple ID is linked to a personal email address with its own password (PW).

Your iCloud ID was set up later to allow syncing between devices - username is your iCloud.com address and you have different PW for that.

Before going further, can you confirm this is your situation please?

If I'm on the right track, here's an article on how you might deal with this. It's a bit cumbersome, but basically it seems to be a way of "bringing together" your Apple ID and your iCloud ID.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203828

Ian

Spot on Ian, that is exactly the problem I have. I'll print the article and have a go tomorrow. I'll certainly get back and let you know what happens.
ATB
MacG

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Ian, thanks for trying to help but I fell at the first hurdle. I tried to change my Apple ID, which seems to be my e-mail address, but the change was not accepted so I can't change my id!

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Was there just an ios update? My former login password stopped working this morning. I've been locked out all day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have either of you checked your Keychain Access.app(Utilities folder) to see if any of the needed details or passwords are listed??

You'll need your Mac username ID password to get the passwords to display.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are your issues happening with an @icloud.com email account, or is it related to a different email account, like @yahoo.com, or @hotmail.com, etc.?

I have two separate accounts that I use, one personal, and the other is older, originally used for family purchases which uses my @hotmail.com email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.