How do I tell what RSS this is? Starting to be REALLY annoying!

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Update - talked to Apple

I talked to Apple yesterday.

They had me repair the disk permissions walking me thru it over the phone. First, he had me take out the battery, disconnect the power source and hold down the power key for 5 seconds. Then put it back together and then do the disk permissions. Last he had me open up about 5 applications including several browser windows. Then close the lid and leave it for 5 minutes or so. And it didn't crash. So I'll see how it goes.

They said they had no idea why it actually was doing it and asked several times if I was getting error messages (I'm not). They gave me a case number and said to call them if it happens again, instead of taking it into the store.

DMac - Sorry, he claimed that there are no similar complaints out there. Which I have a really hard time believing. So thanks for posting. Mine is doing exactly what you described. Only difference is mine just started happening, almost 2 months after purchase.

Reaction score

DMac - Sorry, he claimed that there are no similar complaints out there. Which I have a really hard time believing. So thanks for posting. Mine is doing exactly what you described. Only difference is mine just started happening, almost 2 months after purchase.

Not true. I'm watching the Apple forum as well, and the exact same complaint was posted yesterday. I have read the same complaint - laptop shutting down after being closed - several times on different forums. We were very unnerved by the exact same thing happening to two different computers. The OS shut down 7 times on the first computer and eight times on the second computer. I only owned the second computer for a few days.

I really want to own a MacBook, but I'm hoping that this problem will be identified and resolved. My husband says that anything that causes data loss is usually the highest priority in terms of bugs to fix. If I knew this was truly an unusual problem, I'd probably be tempted to try again with a third machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Sorry for the misunderstanding- still sounds like heat or power to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money

They had me repair the disk permissions walking me thru it over the phone. First, he had me take out the battery, disconnect the power source and hold down the power key for 5 seconds. Then put it back together and then do the disk permissions. Last he had me open up about 5 applications including several browser windows. Then close the lid and leave it for 5 minutes or so. And it didn't crash. So I'll see how it goes.

Glad you got it sorted - hopefully this will not be a problem for you any longer.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Sorry for the misunderstanding- still sounds like heat or power to me.

I'm very curious as to why there's an almost unanimous agreement here that this is a heat or power problem, but yet Apple never mentioned anything like that and instead had me do somethink else.

BTW, I would LOVE to know, what exactly IS a heat sink problem or a power problem? I've seen several recc's for older MB with these problems and the fix was firmware updates. I don't even understand what "firmware" is. I would think a heat or power prob would be hardware. I'm finding this all pretty confusing...

Anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.