• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I play MPEG on a Mac (for free) ?????

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you use a wireless network? If so, one of your neighbors is leeching from you. The Shared section shows other computers on your network that have shared resources.

OP
S
Reaction score
Darn man, leeching what?

yeh i have a wireless network but i forgot the password and cant connect to it, so i plugged in the ethernet cable instead and am using that... how do i get rid of it? is it dangerous?

OP
S
Reaction score
Darn man, read this... i just googled it...

"I recently installed Leopard and set up Back to My Mac. Two days later, I noticed a PC server listed as “thomson” under my Sharing header in the Finder window. I can connect to it as a guest.

DOES THIS MEAN THAT SOMEONE HAS MANAGED TO INFILTRATE MY COMPUTER BY SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLING THEMSELVES AS A SHARED DEVICE VIA BACK TO MY MAC? If I’m not being a complete idiot and not done something stupid, could I be IN DANGER?

No.

I'll put down a fiver that says British Telecom is your ISP. Some BT-branded routers are re-branded Thomson SpeedTouch routers. What Leopard is showing you is that router.

Just so we’re clear:

YOU HAD EVERY RIGHT TO BE CONFUSED, BUT YOUR COMPUTER IS PERFECTLY SAFE."

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Darn man, leeching what?

yeh i have a wireless network but i forgot the password and cant connect to it, so i plugged in the ethernet cable instead and am using that... how do i get rid of it? is it dangerous?

They are just connected to your wireless network to use it for Internet access. This can be a bad thing if they happen to be using it for illegal activities as they can be traced back to you.

You'll need to connect to your wireless router and disable the wireless radio if you don't intend to use it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Darn man, read this... i just googled it...

"I recently installed Leopard and set up Back to My Mac. Two days later, I noticed a PC server listed as “thomson” under my Sharing header in the Finder window. I can connect to it as a guest.

DOES THIS MEAN THAT SOMEONE HAS MANAGED TO INFILTRATE MY COMPUTER BY SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLING THEMSELVES AS A SHARED DEVICE VIA BACK TO MY MAC? If I’m not being a complete idiot and not done something stupid, could I be IN DANGER?

No.

I'll put down a fiver that says British Telecom is your ISP. Some BT-branded routers are re-branded Thomson SpeedTouch routers. What Leopard is showing you is that router.

Just so we’re clear:

YOU HAD EVERY RIGHT TO BE CONFUSED, BUT YOUR COMPUTER IS PERFECTLY SAFE."

Aha, OK. Sounds like your modem has some kind of sharing service turned on. That's different. Well, in that case, nothing to worry about. Although it wouldn't be a bad idea to disable the wireless radio if you aren't using it.

OP
S
Reaction score
i had this problem last time; not the thomson problem, but not being able to join my own wireless network because it wouldnt accept the password. ive tried restarting my router and also pricked the 'restore to factory settings' little button, but still, when prompted, i type in the WEP key (as is written on the back of the wireless router) and it just wont connect..... what the heck is going on? how can i connect to my own router now? (wirelessly).... can i change the settings whilst using my ethernet connection? i must be able to...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i had this problem last time; not the thomson problem, but not being able to join my own wireless network because it wouldnt accept the password. ive tried restarting my router and also pricked the 'restore to factory settings' little button, but still, when prompted, i type in the WEP key (as is written on the back of the wireless router) and it just wont connect..... what the heck is going on? how can i connect to my own router now? (wirelessly).... can i change the settings whilst using my ethernet connection? i must be able to...

WEP is an obsolete security standard. The key can be entered in a number of different ways that can differ between the router manufacturer and the wireless client device. The best thing to do is just turn WEP off and use WPA instead. WPA is a newer security standard and is very simple to use. Just turn it on, enter a password and then when you connect you'll be prompted for that password.

You can make changes to your wireless router's security standards by logging into its configuration webpage. This process will vary from router to router, but your manual should cover it. If you can't remember your password for the configuration page, you should be able to do a hard reset on the router to go back to default settings by pressing and holding the reset button (or recess) at the back of the router for 30 seconds whilst unplugging and plugging the power cord back in.

OP
S
Reaction score
wicked thanks man.

how many moderators like you are there? do you get paid for it? are you all in a building together or something?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wicked thanks man.

how many moderators like you are there? do you get paid for it? are you all in a building together or something?

It's not a job, my friend. I'm just a member like you doing this on my own time, in my own home - the only difference is that I've been promoted to a moderator by the forum admins. I believe there are 6 of us and 3 admins.

OP
S
Reaction score
oh right, thats interesting. well, you give good advice; its comforting to have you in ready and waiting for me and my probs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.