How do I keep computer clean

Reaction score
My computer wouldn't open . I sent for a friend to fix , it's back and I'm happy but I 'm have few questions about emails.

each of the gmail boxes, inbox, social nd promotional have a lot of mail I can' do in day and I Have 1000s I need to remove or should I use just one box?

2. Outlook is doing birthdays like mad and I don't care except for few, but its sends about 50% of ny emails to trash. I tried to fix that but it didn't work. any advice because I want mini mac to be happy.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sorry to say I find your post a little confusing so;
Does the "fix" you friend did have something to do with the problem you now have?
Are you using the Apple Mail app?
Do you have a gMail and an Outlook email account?
If you are receiving "Spam" emails in your gMail account you can filter them on the gMail website under Filters.
Outlook birthday notifications must be turned off in Outlook app or online site. They will be based on your Calendar notification settings.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Barb

Reading your "Header", I was all ready to offer some advice on how to keep the keyboard keys clean, how to clean them if dirty and similar "housekeeping" chores to maintain a neat and tidy Mac.

Ah well... on to your actual problems:)

I have never seen any purpose in keeping "1000s" of emails in any one Mailbox let alone the Inbox.

Assuming your email accounts are of the IMAP type, you can pre-determine whether you want to keep your emails "On My Mac" or on the Website account.

For example, if you have an iCloud.com account, you can create Mailboxes "On My Mac" or on "iCloud".

Keeping them "On My Mac" means they stay there and are not synced to other devices. Handy if the great majority of your email work is handled by one Device, say your MacBook or iMac.

If, on the other hand, you regularly check and deal with emails on several Devices, then you would want to sync changes across all Devices - so you would choose to create and keep all your Mailboxes on "iCloud" in the example mentioned.

At the very least, I should have thought that, in addition to your Inbox, you would want "Sent", "Junk", "Trash" Mailboxes.

Mailboxes that reflect your lifestyle - e.g. - "Personal" (with subfolders for Family, Friends etc); "Work" (again with sub-folders relating to companies or individuals); "Online Shopping" (subfolders relating to the common sites you use e.g. Amazon etc); "Internet Articles" (this is for tech stuff and advice relating to your Mac and iOS devices - Mac-Forums, for example).

That is just the beginning. It's all very much a personal choice; but my personal belief is that the Inbox should be as near to empty as possible. You deal with incoming mail here and either dispose of it or allocate it to an appropriate Mailbox.

You can always use the Search function if you can't recall where you place a given email - and the search can be "To", "From" or "All".

A few thoughts, personal of course.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.