• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How do I get a sticker off of my MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Does anyone have suggestions how to get a sticker off my MacBook Pro safely?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Would one of these links help, do you think?:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi - Ian has already given some links that I just reviewed and you may want to follow their advice. I've been removing 'obstinate' stickers for years (but not so far from computer surfaces, so be careful!) - my 'go to' items are shown below, i.e. some type of heat gun (mine is from Makita) and Goo Gone - again need to be cautious.

Now you've not told us 'where' the sticker is located nor its nature? Assume not on the screen - YIKES!

For a computer, I would probably use a hair dryer - the heat is less and gentler than the heat gun shown but the heat level can be greatly reduced. I would first try gentle heating and removal of what becomes loose (it can be amazing how a little heat can soften the adhesive); then, put a 'small amount' of the Goo Gone on a non-abrasive rag (or even a micro-fiber cloth to wipe computer screens) and do some rubbing. Again, I've not done this on a computer case surface but has worked on other labels for me over the years. Be very careful and good luck. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 5.37.20 PM.png

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
When it comes to the gooey residue remaining after removal of a sticker the thing you need is oil. Most glues are oil based. It doesnt matter too much what oil, citrus oil or machine oil but you will need to use is sparingly then a detergent to remove the oil, dishwashing liquid usually works. It's a slow painful procedure I'm afraid.:cry:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Be VERY careful of applying heat to the top case with the LCD. If you get aggressive with it, you're going to damage the LCD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

As Rod already mentioned...

And believe it or not, rubbing the sticker with butter usually works.

Just be patient and keep rubbing. The remaining butter residue is easily removed.

Avoid using any harsh solvents such as acetone or nail polish remover.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
When I've had to remove stickers and other sticky things from MacBooks in the past, I've found that using some 99% IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) works, just a very small amount under the sticker, and a little bit of pulling on the sticker and it tends to work really well. Takes a few minutes, but seems really worth it.

Failing that, goo gone is my next step in the process. That thing can work miracles, but the device will require a good cleanup afterwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
WD40 is effective

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WD40 is effective

Ahh yes, I keep forgetting, that is one of the the wonders and one of the multiple uses of WD-40, but it's not really designed or recommended to be used as a lubricant as so many suggest. I just thought I should mention that little fact. ;)

- Patrick
=======

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Thanks for your replies.

How about using water?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How about using water?
No. Just. Say. No. Water and electronics is a terrible mix, plus water is unlikely to work on the glue used on stickers. The suggestion for Goo Gone is the best. Or any similar product using very little and going slowly. The GG dissolves the gummy glue. Once you have all of the gummy stuff off, you can use a very sparingly damp cloth to clean off the GooGone that is left. Then wipe it with a dry cloth and you should be good to go. No scrapes, no overheating, no liquid inside.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The GG dissolves the gummy glue. Once you have all of the gummy stuff off, you can use a very sparingly damp cloth to clean off the GooGone that is left.

If there is still any amount of gummy glue left, a small amount of butter or olive oil rubbed into the clue and then wiped off can do an amazing cleaning job and sticky gum removal.

EDIT:
Opps, my apology to Rod who had already mentioned using oil in his #4 post above.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
When it comes to the gooey residue remaining after removal of a sticker the thing you need is oil. Most glues are oil based. It doesnt matter too much what oil, citrus oil or machine oil but you will need to use is sparingly then a detergent to remove the oil, dishwashing liquid usually works. It's a slow painful procedure I'm afraid.:cry:
Baby oil- works on bubble gum in kids’ hair… no damage. Its just mineral oil that smells good…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hello Ian, Keith here. You might try WD40, yes it does work but you must be careful and work slowly, it can be absolute magic stuff for removing sticker residue after removing a label. Apply, leave a minute or two then rub gently. I hope it works for you.
Very best regards from Keith in Derby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Ian, Keith here. You might try WD40, yes it does work but you must be careful and work slowly,

Well, I would think several of Ian's suggestions and links could have aided the OP's question, especially considering he was inquiring about the problem with their post 6 months ago.

And yes WD-40 is an alternate choice that works for that and many other things but it is not a true lubricant as many people misunderstand and believe that they think it is.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I believe WD40 is fish oil.🐟

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Actually, I believe you are partially correct in that it is derived from fish oil.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Actually, I believe you are partially correct in that it is derived from fish oil.

- Patrick
=======
Well, according to the WD40 company, that is a myth.
Well, I would think several of Ian's suggestions and links could have aided the OP's question, especially considering he was inquiring about the problem with their post 6 months ago.

And yes WD-40 is an alternate choice that works for that and many other things but it is not a true lubricant as many people misunderstand and believe that they think it is.

- Patrick
=======

They also point out that WD-40 is, indeed, a lubricant.
Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40 Multi-Use Product . We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.
All that can be read here, with more Myth/Fact statements:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
At one one time WD 40 was indeed a water repentant, however with 36 products you need to choose the correct one for the job. The original WD 40 was based around Acetone, which is hygroscopic, but things have moved on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
At one one time WD 40 was indeed a water repentant, however with 36 products you need to choose the correct one for the job. The original WD 40 was based around Acetone, which is hygroscopic, but things have moved on.

I worked at a skateboard shop years and years ago, and it was very common to see kids coming in who had been using WD40 to rejuvenate their wheel bearings. Grit would work its way inside the bearings as the grease leaked out over time, and eventually the bearings would seize up. The problem with using WD40 for this? It was extremely corrosive to skateboard wheels, and the bearings wouldn't seat inside the wheel after much use of this stuff. Saw this all the time. We sold a silicone-based lubricant that was much better suited.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.