How do I connect Mac Mini to TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Attached is the TV connections.
Thank you

Attachments

• tv back.png
    tv back.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The Mac Mini has an HDMI output. Get an HDMI cable and connect from Mac to TV. Then on the TV select the input as that HDMI port.

OP
Backlighting
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
The Mac Mini has an HDMI output. Get an HDMI cable and connect from Mac to TV. Then on the TV select the input as that HDMI port.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You can also mirror the Mac onto the TV through an Apple TV, which is connected with a cable. The mirroring is wireless, through a router.

krs

Reaction score
You can also mirror the Mac onto the TV through an Apple TV, which is connected with a cable. The mirroring is wireless, through a router.
Using this method - wireless via the Apple TV, does the audio sync properly with the video when playing a movie for example?

Reaction score
My son just bought us a ChromeCast. It allows us to attach our Mac's wirelessly to our livingroom television at 4K, and now we can use the television to surf the Web, watch videos, watch premium channels we subscribe to, etc. We got the slightly more expensive fancy version. It's still way less expensive than an AppleTV:

You may want to check out this article:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Using this method - wireless via the Apple TV, does the audio sync properly with the video when playing a movie for example?

Why do that when you can just stream it using apps on the Apple TV? There are times when I will AirPlay something from my MacBook to the ATV, but those are one-offs from, say, a website. But otherwise, I have videos on my iMac that I stream using the ATV app Infuse. There are other options, free no less. And you can use your ATV remote to control playback. You lose that by mirroring. You don't even get surround sound... it's downgraded to stereo.

I've been using the Screen Mirroring feature to use my TV via the ATV as the monitor for playing a couple games on my MacBook. It usually works surprisingly well, though once in a while it will stutter. Usually when my MBA isn't plugged in to charge.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I have to agree with Randy, ChromeCast is a great device. It basically turns your TV into a "smart" TV with access to all the sites you would normally access via a WiFi capable TV. It's also cheaper than any alternative I could find.
You will need a Google account but most of the apps you might require from Google Play are free to download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I only have one sports app on the Apple TV, and use mirroring only for live-streaming from a website. I have not watched a movie using it. So I'm no ATV "power user". I was just noting another way to "connect" a Mac to a TV.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well, the old HDMI method works pretty well even with a portable device. I have a HDMI to iPhone connector which allows me to watch anything on my iPhone/iPad on a TV with HDMI input. I can even use my VPN to watch home channels in O/seas hotel rooms.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.