how can i run windows

K

Kokopelli

For the record techster... I find your avatar amusing. Disturbing, but amusing none the less.

Viruses now are less often corruption based in nature and more control based. Virus writers seem to be targeting creating zombies and propogating more than doing damage. After all a machine that has been zeroed can't propagate any further now can it? There are a number of viruses that replace and/or update system level files. If it can replace a system level file it can most likely destroy the partition. And while Windows may not be able to read the partition, it is very likely that it is aware of the hfs+ partition in which OS X resides.

Again though viruses are rarely data destructive in nature now This is more a trend in the goals of the writers though than improvements in the OS. It is harder to write viruses to be sure, but there are enough that can execute arbitrary system level commands that the potential for a destructive virus to be created is still present. Such a virus just probably would not spread far since it is destroying its means of propogation. With a delayed destruct anti-virus would likely find and remove it before it does the dirty deed.

Just be thankful mail viruses are harder now. Thise are the worst of the modern vectors IMHO.

C

caveatipss

punkr0x0r said:
I thought the point of buying a Mac was to get AWAY from Windows? Maybe it's just me and most of the loyal Mac users here...

That is true, but remember also that some of us love gaming, and some of the best games cannot yet run on Mac. That is the one and only reason I might use Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
our usergroup had a speaker, an apple engineer, talking about bootcamp and windows partitions.... he said that the windows partition is totally separate from the mac's, and will not effect the mac. If you got a windows virus, it would not effect your mac stuff, they both are separate.

anyway, osx is better than windows imho. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
macgig said:
anyway, osx is better than windows imho. ;)

Whatchoo talkin bout macgig? (sorry I had to do it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
iWonder said:
BOO!

we should have a debate in the IRC chat

Too late it appears one has already started here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nothing to debate really! :spook:

The only time that the anything happening in Windows could ever hurt the OSX side (Beside user error) is if Windows got some RARE virus and took out the whole HDD. I work with XP systems that are so messed up all the time and only twice saw a virus that took out the Partition, but it was only the Main XP C partition and not any other partitions. So I seriously doubt anything would happen to the OSX Partition unless like I said, user error going say Fdisk in XP!

Now if the Hard Drive dies, then all will be gone, but don't blame Windows for that or OSX neither!! :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
caveatipss said:
That is true, but remember also that some of us love gaming, and some of the best games cannot yet run on Mac. That is the one and only reason I might use Windows.

And this is the exact same reason for me. The only reason I have Windows is for gaming. But still.. If you want windows, buy a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.