How can I get rid of the "Shop Amazon" ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As the subject says: How can I get rid of the "Shop Amazon" ad??? It's showing up on every single page I go to @mac-forums.

It is no use to me as I already have the Canadian Amazon Link in my address bar, and the one on every page only links me to the American dot-com site.

BTW: I hope Mac forums has seen some slight profits from several Amazon purchases I have made using the Canadian link to give the site credit for any purchases.

Screen Shot 1.png

This is the shop Amazon reminder I really don't need staring me in the face on every single page here;

Screen Shot 2.png

Thanks, it would be appreciated if I have the opportunity to remove it somehow.

- Patrick
=======

Attachments

• Screen Shot 1.png
    Screen Shot 1.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 31

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As the subject says: How can I get rid of the "Shop Amazon" ad??? It's showing up on every single page I go to at Mac-Forums.

The Amazon link/links are there for the convenience of forum members & non-members when they are interested in purchasing something from Amazon...and help the site at the same time.:)

Like any ads on any website...you could try using an ad-blocker. Of course this may block other ads on the site...which would reduce income the site receives from ad views. There is no way for a member to manually remove ads from Mac-Forums.

We are working on a program to provide an ad-free experience to members interested in an ad-free experience. Hopefully to be implemented soon (if you were interested in this as a solution).

The Amazon link itself really isn't an advertisement...it's really more of a "convenience link" for members & non-members to order items from Amazon (which many many folks do)...and help the site at the same time.

...and the one on every page only links me to the American dot-com site.

This is mostly true. The Amazon link on the home page actually has links for Amazon US, Amazon Canada, and Amazon UK. The Amazon links on the non-Home Pages could be modified to include a link to Amazon Canada...then you could remove the Amazon Canada bookmark from your bookmark bar.:)

HTH,

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Bear in mind, Patrick, that blocking the ad won't get you any more space for the website. The html defines the size of the ad, ad blockers just prevent it from being displayed. You then end up with a large empty white space right were the ad would go.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is mostly true. The Amazon link on the home page actually has links for Amazon US, Amazon Canada, and Amazon UK. The Amazon links on the non-Home Pages could be modified to include a link to Amazon Canada...then you could remove the Amazon Canada bookmark from your bookmark bar.:)

Thanks Nick, but just how could that be accomplished???
If it's buried in some settings, I missed it. 😏

That would be a lot more bearable than the current situation and its link to the American Amazon Site.

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, but just how could that be accomplished???
If it's buried in some settings, I missed it. 😏
It's not something an individual member can do. It's a website setup/backend project.

Thanks,

Nick

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bear in mind, Patrick, that blocking the ad won't get you any more space for the website. The html defines the size of the ad, ad blockers just prevent it from being displayed. You then end up with a large empty white space right were the ad would go.

Thanks for the hint Nick, and I should have thought of the fix myself.

It's not something an individual member can do. It's a website setup/backend project.

Thanks,
Nick

Not quite true it seems Nick, as I said I should have thought of the solution myself, but thanks to your suggestion, I just narrowed my Google Chrome web page for when viewing Mac-forums web pages.

It works just fine thanks and adds to my viewing pleasure. And you guys still get credit from any ads that might show, at least I assume you do. They just don't have any room to display themselves on my iMac. A win-win situation!!! 😏

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not quite true it seems Nick, as I said I should have thought of the solution myself, but thanks to your suggestion, I just narrowed my Google Chrome web page for when viewing Mac-forums web pages.
If this works for you great.:)

But since the website is "responsive" (website content adjusts for the size of the browser window & device used)...the info that appears to be hidden from view...is actually relocated to the bottom of the window (have to scroll down to see it).

But as mentioned...if the solution you found works for you...good deal.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Hadn't noticed till you pointed it out!

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But since the website is "responsive" (website content adjusts for the size of the browser window & device used)...the info that appears to be hidden from view...is actually relocated to the bottom of the window (have to scroll down to see it).

But as mentioned...if the solution you found works for you...good deal.:)

Gee, so it is but it takes a fair bit of scrolling to get it to show which suits me just fine because I'm not going to be doing that!!! 😏

I wouldn't want to completely hide all the ads with an ad blocker and stop them from getting some benefit for the Forum.

Gee... I guess I forgot to click the post reply button yesterday so here it is now.

- Patrick
=======

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hadn't noticed till you pointed it out!

I hadn't either until something changed somewhere along the way and the American Amazon ad started staring me in the face on every page I went to.

Narrowing my Google Chrome window solves the problem for me by shoving the ads way down at the bottom and basically out of sight.

I have no idea why things changed but add it to the list of things that did immediately after having my hard drive and cooling fan replaced last week. I know there should be absolutely no connection, but several things did change... Odd, as I had been using the solid state drive as a boot drive in an external dock, and the tech just installed it internally.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know there should be absolutely no connection, but several things did change... Odd, as I had been using the solid state drive as a boot drive in an external dock, and the tech just installed it internally.

Should be a lot more responsive running on the internal bus rather than the much slower USB bus.

But as Nick mentioned above, we are working on something that will allow some members to completely browse the forum ad free.

By the way, hope you're doing okay health wise and that the unusual heat wave you had some time ago is gone. We're used to very hot Summers around here but you folks up in the North West are not.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, hope you're doing okay health wise and that the unusual heat wave you had some time ago is gone. We're used to very hot Summers around here but you folks up in the North West are not.

Yes we are enjoying much cooler temperatures which is a nice more normal relief from the hot spell we had.

I finally got around to ordering and receiving a condensate pump for our AC, as we just had a three gallon bucket which was getting ready to overflow after a few hours during the hot spell.

We are going through a drought phase on the east coast of Vancouver Island which is making it very hard on the farmers and the fish and everything else that relies on water. And even the wild blackberries are wilted and not forming properly and many of their leaves are scorched and dying. Not normal at all, but luckily we have a good Watershed that that's still in decent shape for those on Municipal Water.

I finally received my battery operated disability mobility cart I ordered from China at the end of April last Friday and I'm a bit disappointed with their advertised specs, especially for going up our relatively steep driveway and Municipal Road. I shall be investigating the matter later on as the specs say it is supposed to be able to do 20° slopes. But maybe they used a 20-pound monkey to do the testing with. 😏

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I finally received my battery operated disability mobility cart I ordered from China at the end of April last Friday and I'm a bit disappointed with their advertised specs, especially for going up our relatively steep driveway and Municipal Road. I shall be investigating the matter later on as the specs say it is supposed to be able to do 20° slopes. But maybe they used a 20-pound monkey to do the testing with. 😏

Good friend of mine (now since passed away) was given one of those by the US Veterans Administration. It wasn't a mobility cart but a battery powered wheel chair. They also supplied him with a Chrysler SUV that had a power ramp and special driver seat access so he could drive. They also did some work on a home that he purchased by making it suitable for someone who was disabled.

He had been medically retired from the USAF with 100% disability because of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He had been medically retired from the USAF with 100% disability because of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Good of the USAF for looking after some of their retirees so well. I am sure it was very well received and appreciated and I'm sorry that you lost a good friend.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

I'm extremely late to this conversation, but I just had to chime in and point out that this bit isn't true. At least not absolutely. I don't get have blank white space here or most other places and never have, at least not when the element is blocked properly. A good ad blocker will kill both and give you the ability to fine tune a block to reclaim that white space in the instances where the existing rules don't do so automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm extremely late to this conversation, but I just had to chime in and point out that this bit isn't true. At least not absolutely. I don't get have blank white space here or most other places and never have, at least not when the element is blocked properly. A good ad blocker will kill both and give you the ability to fine tune a block to reclaim that white space in the instances where the existing rules don't do so automatically.
Please, name this "good ad blocker" that does that. None I have tried will recover the space from the ad completely. Most will shrink the vertical space, but not the horizontal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please, name this "good ad blocker" that does that. None I have tried will recover the space from the ad completely. Most will shrink the vertical space, but not the horizontal.

Well AdGuard just for starters. I'd be glad to do a before and after example of a page of your choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'll try that. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'll try that. Thanks.

It just occurred to me that we may be thinking of different things. Killing all the ads to the right of the posts here, for example, doesn't reclaim any space. I'm a little surprised because that's atypical of my experience. But if I block, say the menu up top (New Posts, Find Threads, etc), I get all of that space back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so what I see is same as you. The column to the right, whether the ad is visible or not, is there all the time. To get the space you sacrifice the menu bar. But the menu bar is how I navigate the site. I use "New Posts" every time I come here, and "Find Threads" at least a couple of times a week, maybe more. So, that's not a tradeoff I'm willing to make. And frankly, the ad is not offensive to me like I guess it is to others. It's an ad, and I can ignore it just like any other ad. But the space is not recoverable, so I just let it be there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.