• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Home theater setups

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the input guys. Apparently your experiences with remotes has been similar to mine. I started with one of those Sony remotes that had the LCD screen. The problem is that, at least on that model, you change the function of one of the virtual keys but can't rename it to match the new function.

@Nick Love that line about piloting the Enterprise single-handedly. My wife, on the other hand, thinks that six remotes is far too much clutter.

I thought perhaps the iPad as a remote would allow for separate configurations so we each get the functions we use most. Macworld.com ran a piece about that recently and the biggest drawback is that I would have to leave the iPad at home for it to be a useful remote.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks for the input guys. Apparently your experiences with remotes has been similar to mine. I started with one of those Sony remotes that had the LCD screen. The problem is that, at least on that model, you change the function of one of the virtual keys but can't rename it to match the new function.

@Nick Love that line about piloting the Enterprise single-handedly. My wife, on the other hand, thinks that six remotes is far too much clutter.

I thought perhaps the iPad as a remote would allow for separate configurations so we each get the functions we use most. Macworld.com ran a piece about that recently and the biggest drawback is that I would have to leave the iPad at home for it to be a useful remote.

You have to buy an infrared-adapter if your tv's/unit's receiver is infrared. This is an adapter for your ipod touch/iphone/ipad.
B17 L5 Model Remote For iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad/Apple TV - eBay (item 220670518819 end time Oct-16-10 15:05:31 PDT)

I'm sure there are also others out there, but this is the one I would get if I bought one because my friend has this on his ipod touch. If your tv has complicated menus, you will lose some functionality. But other than that, it works well and has GREAT range!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks I am just really beginning to look at this issue. Nice to find out about one with some practical experience behind it. I was thinking about taking a serious look at RedEye: control for the whole family as part of the system.

Reaction score
If I could see, and I had a lot more money, I'd get a huge 1080p projector and an htpc.

I guess I'll have to come back when I'm a little... mmm... richer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I just have a 42 panasonic,Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player,Apple TV,Uverse,Airport Express,
Velodyne CT-150 subwoofer, Paradigm Studio Monitors 100,570 and 20's speakers all hooked to an Integra 10.5 receiver and protected with a Panamax 5500 in our living room.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.