Home network...? How and What!? Help!

Reaction score
Hi there, hopefully a pretty easy question for everyone....

I'm looking at replacing a very old Macbook with an iMac in my office. This would be my main computer, and therefore would store everything on it - iTunes, Photos, documents, video etc.
Looking into also getting a Macbook Air which my wife would predominantly use while she travels, but when we're at home, is it possible we could access everything from the iMac? How would I connect them, and what would be accessible? Would we be able to play iTunes music (assume through home share?) and would we be able to access photos? I'd like to get the Macbook with minimal size hard drive, so would be key we could access files and media without having to store it locally... is it possible?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello James - welcome to the forum! :) I'm assuming that 'in my office' you mean a home office, so your question(s) is setting up a 'home network' which allows communication between your iMac, laptop, and likely many other devices in your house (e.g. printers, iDevices, & possible AV electronics) - is this correct?

You likely have a broadband internet connection (i.e. cable, DSL, satellite) which attaches to a modem - you will need a router (sometimes a modem/router will be in one unit) - for me, I have a Time-Warner cable modem + an Apple AirPort Extreme router which is cabled to my 3 y/o iMac and also broadcasts 4 Wi-Fi networks (these are password protected) - newer Apple routers offer the most advanced 802.11 protocols, i.e. 'ac' (mine is an 'n' which is fine) - you can obtain an Apple router w/ storage for backups, i.e. their Time Capsule, if desired - this is how you need to start.

Once you have your iMac attached to a router and the Wi-Fi network(s) working properly, you'll need to consider backup of your iMac, which is usually done by using external HDs (offline cloud options certainly exist as an alternative or a secondary security choice) (remember the Time Capsule has a built-in HD for storage) - for myself, I use Apple's Time Machine app and also Carbon Copy Cloner for cloned HD backups (on separate HDs).

Your wife's laptop can connect to your wireless network along w/ other Wi-Fi devices in the house, e.g. iDevices, electronics, etc. A printer can be setup either cabled to your iMac or wireless (buy one w/ AirPrint built-in). As to sharing files, many choices exist - for myself, I have 'sharing' setup in System Preferences and can connect from my wireless laptop to the cabled iMac in another room. Newer Apple hardware/software also offer a neat technology called AirDrop - other wireless options exist, along w/ old fashion solutions, such as flash thumb drives.

If you want to learn more, I've read the book below several times - up to date & short/concise - can be purchased in iBooks or as a Kindle edition. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 11.26.29 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Looks like a trip to Amazon is in order. That book looks like worth having. Thanks, Dave. Good info.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are a series of these books available. I have one or two (including the one on iTunes) and they seem to be pretty good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like a trip to Amazon is in order. That book looks like worth having. Thanks, Dave. Good info.

There are a series of these books available. I have one or two (including the one on iTunes) and they seem to be pretty good.

Hi Kevin - will be interested in your thoughts on the networking book - well written and plenty thorough for my needs.

Hey Sly.... - I've bought a number of those Take Control Of... books over the years, the two others I own at present are shown below on the left - the iCloud book is pretty good; books on the terminal always scare me but this one is a fair introduction.

NOW - I just saw a new one on Preview which I use a LOT - will this one teach me more? Would be curious if anyone has bought it yet? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 3.17.54 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Hi Dave

If it helps me understand the OSI network model thoroughly I'll be more than satisfied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave

If it helps me understand the OSI network model thoroughly I'll be more than satisfied.

Kevin - fortunately for me at least, the networking book avoids any in-depth discussion of OSI, like the paragraph below (Source), which make my eyes go glossy - ;) Some of my early books bought on networking had chapter(s) on OSI which I would try to 'wade through' and by the next day completely forgot - SO, all I need to know these days is shown in the picture.

But kidding aside - the book under discussion will not cover OSI even superficially, but still offers a bunch of practical information and will have a lot of advice and directions on how to establish a home network centered around Apple routers - Dave :)

OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) is reference model for how applications can communicate over a network. A reference model is a conceptual framework for understanding relationships. The purpose of the OSI reference model is to guide vendors and developers so the digital communication products and software programs they create will interoperate, and to facilitate clear comparisons among communications tools. Most vendors involved in telecommunications make an attempt to describe their products and services in relation to the OSI model. And although useful for guiding discussion and evaluation, OSI is rarely actually implemented, as few network products or standard tools keep all related functions together in well-defined layers as related to the model. The TCP/IP protocols, which define the Internet, do not map cleanly to the OSI model.
OSI-Model-Burger.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? Where does the toasted bun requirement get added…??? And I guess any 'srooms would just add another layer….. but a good analogy… ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm…??? Where does the toasted bun requirement get added…??? And I guess any 'srooms would just add another layer….. but a good analogy… ;)

Hey Patrick - LOL! :) After reading this OSI stuff for years (and not being a professional in networking), the multi-layered burger analogy sums up my understanding, I guess - ;) Dave

P.S. well, I hope that our OP, James, returns to read my first post which I hope will be helpful.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

Yes, sorry, should have defined the office - you're right though, my office at home.

Currently I use the Sky Q router, and have an on-line back up system in place.

Would I be able to set up the sharing from the iMac using the current Sky Q wifi router, and if so, again, are there any restrictions in what I can open? Would I be able to open photos on the Macbook for example, and view all photos that are stored locally on the iMac?

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, sorry, should have defined the office - you're right though, my office at home.

Currently I use the Sky Q router, and have an on-line back up system in place.

Would I be able to set up the sharing from the iMac using the current Sky Q wifi router, and if so, again, are there any restrictions in what I can open? Would I be able to open photos on the Macbook for example, and view all photos that are stored locally on the iMac?

Hi James - well, might have left a different response knowing that your already had a router & backup plan in place, sorry for being probably a little too basic in my first post; also, I took a look at the Sky Q Router - assume you are in the UK, which is useful information since we do have many members from 'across the pond' who may offer more personal experience using that router and service.

Now from reading the review linked above, please provide the router model you now own - if you can get a new iMac to work w/ the router and a functioning Wi-Fi home network, then setting up 'sharing' w/ other devices should not be an issue; if you have an older model, then updating the firmware, if applicable, or replacing w/ a newer router would certainly be a consideration. When I switched from a PC to iMac in spring 2013, I could not get my Cisco 802.11n router to behave w/ the Apple computer, so bought their AirPort Extreme which connected immediately. I'll stop there and let others from your area 'chime in' to hopefully provide some more specific comments. Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Dave - sorry, you're right - I keep giving half a story - and don't worry about going ultra basic - on most things I need it.

Yes, I'm in the UK - sorry - just assumed the world revolved around the UK... ;-)

The router is pretty new, but would have to check the model - Sky Q in itself is a very new service, so I'd be surprised if they have more than one version of the router. Currently working away, but will check when home on Thursday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave - sorry, you're right - I keep giving half a story - and don't worry about going ultra basic - on most things I need it.

Yes, I'm in the UK - sorry - just assumed the world revolved around the UK... ;-)

The router is pretty new, but would have to check the model - Sky Q in itself is a very new service, so I'd be surprised if they have more than one version of the router. Currently working away, but will check when home on Thursday.

No problem, James - once you provide the current model of your router, then I suspect some of are UK members will respond about their experience w/ using that brand/model w/ their Apple equipment - good luck! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.