Home Internet is Really Slow - New Developement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a feeling Frontier is your problem. I just posted a rant about how bad their service is. My phone service has been out since the end of May. I have very sporadic DSL service. I have a potential repair technician appointment for July 23rd.

I had a chance to talk to a Frontier technician who was working on the pole outside my house. He told me that when Frontier took over a lot of the land line phone services they did away with their emergency repair teams. They also cut the number of technicians back as a cost saving measure.

Unfortunately the land line is fading and the market has shrunk. I don't see service improving.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a feeling Frontier is your problem.

That is an understatement to say the least. I had a Frontier repair-installer tech over at my home some time ago and he told me that he formerly worked for Verizon (who sold out to Frontier here in Texas). Lots of difference between the two companies.

I spoke with another former Frontier tech who now works for Spectrum (Charter Communications). He said that Frontier was losing money and may go bankrupt in the future. The talk from the tech may also be sour grapes but I know for a fact that Frontier prices are higher than Spectrum or even AT&T while their service is not as good. Even though the Frontier lines here in my area are all Fiber (formerly installed by Verizon) we do suffer outages and slowdowns.

I'm currently on contract with Frontier but will probably terminate them as soon as that is up. I hate to go with Spectrum since I have had some bad experiences with them when they were Charter but they offer no contract service.

Back in the good old days the telephone company was the bad guy who was fleecing you. Nowadays, it's the cable companies and internet providers. :punchy

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm going to answer parts of several users' questions in this post. Y'all have offered much information, but I cannot address all of it. Please keep in mind, I've had the same setup I have for 7 years. Until right before we started this thread, I have never had speed and connection issues, except for one or two neighborhood outages and that kind of thing. I could always get total internet with fast loading pages and games, etc., anywhere in the house. There are no additional game modules (X box type) since we've been here. In fact, we have two less internet users, since two kids have gone to college. So, I am paying for 25/25. But, since I am a "Valued Customer", I have an "upgrade" to 50/50. Seems like BS, since I often can't achieve a connection at all. The only place I cannot connect predictably is in the master BR. I do not know how to answer copper, or phone line, etc. I know it is cable modem. The FIOS modem/router is in a wall utility box (looks like a fuse box) with several cables that are for use with TV cable, internet cable, satellite and so forth. There are many cables in the box that aren't in use. I have the wifi on this modem turned off. In the office, there is a jack. The ethernet cable comes from there and connects to Vonage phone and my airport extreme (the flat one - not Time Capsule).
I run or try to run speed tests most days with the ookla app.Sometimes I cannot even connect to run the Speed Test. Results have varied, since June 25th. Here are some results: 5.75 dn/22.4up to 4.32/4.03, 38.3/22.2, .07/3.29, .11/3.55, 5.64/9.57. These are with the iPhone X. For whatever reason, the iPad is much worse and mostly in the mornings, I can't get a connection at all. So, when I connect, it is good and some of these speeds don't matter, because things will work. But, on most occasions, I am unable to connect with the speed test app to even run the test. So, that is zero speed down or up. I spoke to Frontier. The IT guy said that since I have wifi turned off on their modem, it is not a Frontier issue. He said there are many things that can block wifi signals. I can't think of anything new in my home. Like I said, no new game systems, or other devices. So, having posted all of this and having gotten great information from y'all, my next question is how do I solve the issue? Is there a wifi extender that I can connect? What suggestions are there to boost the signal? I have updated the airport firmware. Thanks, again, for patience and your valuable input.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, having posted all of this and having gotten great information from y'all, my next question is how do I solve the issue?

I think this is the 4th time I've asked that the internet speed service you're paying for be verified.:) This should be VERY easy to check...with 7 years of bills!;) This may or may not be the solution...but it helps to know...since this thread is all about speed.:)

Without my rereading the thread from the beginning...is the speed issue ONLY when using WiFi...or is it also an issue when a device is connected via ethernet cable? Even if it's not an issue with ethernet...you should still compare the speed the computer's connected via ethernet are getting vs. what you're paying for.:)

- Nick

EDIT: Apologies Drewber...just reread your latest post (post #23)...and I see you did include the internet speed you're paying for. Thank you.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would suggest getting a new WiFi router. The Apple AirPort Extreme is a bit long in the tooth. I found that my AE got slower and slower over time. I replaced it with a Netgear Orbi system to cover my entire house with good WiFI. I have three stations (Base and two satellites) and get great coverage all over the house.

You can test to see if the problem is WiFI or ISP by connecting an Ethernet cable directly to your MBP and run the Ookla test with that connection. To ensure you are using the Ethernet, disable WiFi on the MBP before performing the test. If it's slow that way, the problem is the ISP. If it's not slow, but closer to the 50/50 you are paying for, it is most likely the WiFi router you have attached. I also would not put it past Frontier to have taken your router off the bridge mode and started transmitting WiFi again. I had issues with my ISP (Xfinity) doing that when they wanted to have every router offer free WiFi so that Xfinity customers would have practically unlimited hot spots. I opted out, but the turned it on anyway. I called, they turned it back to bridge mode. They turned it back on a couple of weeks later. I called again, suggested that they give me the procedure to turn it off myself before I got a lawyer to see what could be done. They gave me the authority in my router to check it and to turn it off. It's off. I say that because like you, when it was on, the two routers interfered with each other because they were next to each other in my office. So that MAY be what is happening to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think this is the 4th time I've asked that the internet speed service you're paying for be verified.

Sorry Nick, but I have to laugh and chuckle a bit here!!! At least you're somewhat determined!!

PS: Maybe you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for an answer even if it is rather related to the subject and thread. :Smirk: :laugh :giggle

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick (and Nick) he did answer the question. Post #23.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick (and Nick) he did answer the question. Post #23.

Thanks Jake...just reread post #23...and OP did mention it. I lost it in the middle of all that text.

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I am paying for 25/25. But, since I am a "Valued Customer", I have an "upgrade" to 50/50.

My apologies Drewber...I missed this but of info in your last post. Thanks for looking it up & posting.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Drewber:

I think I mentioned this to you before.... You can not use an AE effectively with the router provided by Frontier. Their routers are specially designed to accommodate the FIOS system. By hooking their router to the AE you probably have slowed everything down. If you're paying for 50/50, that's what you should be getting.

My advice: Get rid of the AE or go with another provider. I believe you also have Spectrum in your area?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can not use an AE effectively with the router provided by Frontier. Their routers are specially designed to accommodate the FIOS system.
Charlie, can I ask why that would be? The reason I ask is that normally the AE would be on the "inside" of the FIOS modem/router, using the Ethernet connection from the FIOS router to the AE, then the AE becomes the DHCP server, assuming that the FIOS router is, in fact, in bridge mode. Once the connection is converted from the FIOS multiplex signal, what difference does it make what WiFi router is attached to the Ethernet port of the modem? I can't think of a technical reason for that at all. Ethernet is Ethernet and DHCP is DHCP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Placing the FIOS router in bridge mode causes it to stop sending the controlling signal to the cable box which in turn kills the TV menu signal. You wind up with no TV menu and internet slowdowns.

The older FIOS type routers supplied by Verizon had 4 ethernet connections. It was possible to connect as you state, however, these new routers have one input ethernet connection and one master cable connection. Both are being used by the network. I'm not sure I could connect my iMac by ethernet. I would have to ask Frontier how to do it.

This newer router is an Arris, the older ones were made by ActionTech and had two antennas. The Arris has no antenna.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, that's a real bad design defect! Whoever engineered that should be fired. Glad I don't have FIOS in my area, I might have been suckered in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it really is a bad design. The Frontier tech who came out and installed this latest equipment was not thrilled with it either. (He used to work for Verizon) He was also a Mac guy and understood about using macOS and security in general. We both agreed not to install all the extra Frontier security junk and their "delux cable box".

My up and down speeds are 150/150 which is more than enough for me. Spectrum is offering 400/400 for less than what I'm paying and they provide around the same amount of viewing/music channels that Frontier does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd like better upload speed than I get from Xfinity. I get 300 down, but only 12 up. Xfinity has not gone the full duplex route as Verizon and others have done. Here there is no competition, so there is no pressure on them to change. The city council is considering allowing a competitor to install fiber optic, but that is not going to be in place until 2022, at the earliest. Oh, well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake...just reread post #23...and OP did mention it. I lost it in the middle of all that text.

Thanks,
- Nick

My apologies Drewber...I missed this but of info in your last post. Thanks for looking it up & posting.:)

- Nick

Ditto.

I also didn't see the forrest due to all the trees I guess. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The city council is considering allowing a competitor to install fiber optic,

Hmmm... I think i'd be smelling politics and possible graft at that point and I thought all the US prided themselves on their great Capitalism. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, it is considered to be a utility, so it's regulated by the government, just like our electricity and natural gas. Right now, Xfinity (Comcast) has a monopoly on that utility in the city, but so many people are unhappy with them, the city is entertaining having a competitor put in the fiber that Xfinity is not inclined to do. If it happens, competition is good. If Xfinity moves to put in fiber to pre-empt losing the monopoly, that's ok, too. The idea is to get better infrastructure one way or the other. The potential competitor provides fiber optic to the entire county that surrounds the city, so they are a natural candidate to move into the city.

The whole conversation is taking place in the open, through city council meetings and in the local newspaper. I live beside one city councilor and one planning commission member, so I know what is being talked about. It's all good. Trust me, capitalism is at work. No need for smirk emojis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, it is considered to be a utility, so it's regulated by the government, just like our electricity and natural gas

OK, and thanks for the info Jake. It seems rather interesting the way some things are done down there and it's hard to know sometimes just from reading or listening to some of the news.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really hard, Patrick. Some things it makes sense to have a monopoly for provision. You don't need two or more sets of gas pipes, or power lines, etc., to provide the service in a city. In fact, you probably want to avoid just that. So the government allows a monopoly, but regulates that monopoly to control prices and service standards. So a while back, before we moved to the city, it was decided to allow Comcast a monopoly for cable and internet service, in return for which they installed the infrastructure throughout the city to serve all citizens equally. That monopoly was guaranteed for a minimum time so that Comcast could recover the expenses of the buildout and not have to have exorbitant rates for the users to do so. Now that period has expired and the folks who provide fiber in the surrounding county want to have access to put in fiber throughout the entire city to compete with Xfinity (Comcast). They need permission to go under city streets and use easements to the property in the city for the fiber. And that is what is under discussion: Do we end the monopoly and allow competition, or will Xfinity step up to improving the infrastructure in return for an extension of the monopoly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.