Hiding OS folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yeah, please try and take a look at the screenshot and tell me what's wrong with it. Much appreciated.

Ok... I took a look over my own system and I have the same "problem" on my internal drive that is formatted using NTFS-3G. The only way I see to rename it is through Windows.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Ok... I took a look over my own system and I have the same "problem" on my internal drive that is formatted using NTFS-3G. The only way I see to rename it is through Windows.

I'd be fine leaving it as just 'Local Disk.' The problem only arose when it came to that Index command in Terminal. Getting back to our original problem, you're saying I need to login as the root user and then go in through Terminal with those commands? Are you sure it'll know the command path if it's just 'mdutil -i on /Volumes/Local Disk'?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing about this drive: When I delete something from it, it doesn't go to the Trash (for possible recovery); instead, it just disappears.

Is there any way, beside the method I've already taken, to make this drive more Mac-friendly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd be fine leaving it as just 'Local Disk.' The problem only arose when it came to that Index command in Terminal. Getting back to our original problem, you're saying I need to login as the root user and then go in through Terminal with those commands? Are you sure it'll know the command path if it's just 'mdutil -i on /Volumes/Local Disk'?

Since the drive is not formatted in a native file format that OS X supports, I would not attempt this. We already know renaming it using the conventional methods isn't working. Trying it via root may not work either and worse, you may really screw something up since many of the safeguards that exists for regular users are overridden for root. Only use root if you are absolutely certain of what you are doing. And I do mean ABSOLUTELY!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing about this drive: When I delete something from it, it doesn't go to the Trash (for possible recovery); instead, it just disappears.

Is there any way, beside the method I've already taken, to make this drive more Mac-friendly?

Are you still using this drive directly with a Windows computer? As in un-plugging it from the Mac and plugging it back into a Windows PC?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you still using this drive directly with a Windows computer? As in un-plugging it from the Mac and plugging it back into a Windows PC?

No, I'm using it exclusively with a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I'm using it exclusively with a Mac.

Well heck, then change the file system to HFS+ so you'll be using OS X's native file format. I suggest backing up your drive first, then reformatting it. If you simply can't back it all up, then try a utility called iPartition. That is supposed to be able to change the file system without data loss.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well heck, then change the file system to HFS+ so you'll be using OS X's native file format. I suggest backing up your drive first, then reformatting it. If you simply can't back it all up, then try a utility called iPartition. That is supposed to be able to change the file system without data loss.

Thanks for the suggestion, but what exactly are the benefits of HFS+? Will it help with the indexing?

After searching for more info, I found that the drive has to be "Mac OS extended & journaled." How do I make mine like that?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I'm getting a new HD as a backup while I erase this one and make it Mac compatiable. However, I was wondering: In order to avoid having to reinstall Leopard, can Time Machine save all my MB HD's settings/preferences on an external so I can just load it onto the new HD when it arrives? Essentially I'd be using Time Machine to put everything, including Leopard, onto this new HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.