Hi CPU usage Win XP

Reaction score
Greetings

I pass this info on in case anyone else has had the problem for which I haven't found an answer anywhere else.

In the normal course of events Parallels is fine.

But,

Win XP becomes unusable (on Parallels and also VM Fusion) because of 100% plus CPU usage. It really is crazy.

I have reinstalled Parallels, used the trial VM Fusion, but still the problem occurs.

Finally I found out that if the computer goes to sleep (System Preferences - Energy saver!) then on pressing the space bar to wake up the machine, the CPU shoots up to 100% and Windows if frozen.

So the only answer seems to be - don't let it go to sleep - back to System Preferences, energy saver. Set to Never.

Hope that helps someone. I've had a frustrating few weeks with this.

Cheers Mitcherooney

CPU.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something's wrong. Which version of Parallels are you using? I've never had that happen with XP or Windows 7.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Hi Chscag

I'm using the latest build of Parallels and just for completeness, I'm running Mountain Lion. I have pursued this with the Parallels Support team and after a 4 hour! Logmein session, the consensus is not to put the computer to sleep, to see what if any effect this has. In the meantime, they will investigate the various processes that are running.

After I returned to the machine (having set it to never sleep) it's fine this morning..... It seems to confirm that something hangs on to an essential part of 'something' which causes the issue with Parallels.

Incidentally, XP was removed and then reinstalled - it took a phenomenally long time - estimate about 2 hours! Subsequently (and only then) the Mac was restarted with the sleep set to never.

As I say, it all seems to be working well today.

When I get further info from Parallels support, I'll pass it on.

Cheers M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I get further info from Parallels support, I'll pass it on.

Thanks for posting back additional info. I have Parallels 8 (was a free upgrade from 7) but have not installed it yet. Sounds like the new version of Parallels may have some bugs in it. Keep us informed.

Thanks.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Well, subsequent to my last update, the same situation arose again (100% CPU usage).

At this point, I decided to contact Apple, especially in view of the fact that the issue occurred with both Parallels and VM Fusion. At first, the agent blame the 'third party software' and suggested I contact the manufacturer. I pressed the point however and asked to speak to someone else.

I was put onto a guy who seemed more knowledgeable and proposed ways of eliminating various parts to see precisely what was at fault.

So we set up a new partition and downloaded and reinstalled ML on that.

Then I downloaded Parallels from their site, and subsequently installed XP. (It took a fraction of the time that it had last night)

I've put on a couple of programs and tried them out, so far so good.....

I am coming around to the idea that the original ML install (upgrade from Lion) couldn't have gone in cleanly and hence the issue.

All I have to do now is get back to Parallels and clear them of any blame - I must say that their support team have been outstanding. I think that you are safe with Parallels 8.

Then I guess Ill have to restore all my various bits and pieces from a TM backup, expand this partition to normal size and hopefully be back to normal.

Just a bit of history, I was using Snow Leopard on my previous machine. This iMac (mid 2011 build) came my away about two months ago with Lion installed. My old copy of Parallels wouldn't work of course so I upgraded to version 7. Then I got the free upgrade to ML, followed by the free upgrade to Parallels 8.

It might have been too much of a shock to the machine - too much excitement - Hah Ha!

I'll let the machine cook for 24 hrs before speaking with Parallels or Apple. Hopfully it will remain stable from here on in. I'll report back in due course. Thanks for your interest.

Just to note: with Parallels running, the Parallels VM CPU usage stands at 3.0%. A bit different!

Cheers M

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Greetings.

Well it's taken a while to sort out the issue. I have oscillated between Apple and Parallels Customer Support. I have done a clean install of Mountain Lion and subsequently Migrated my stuff from a Time Machine backup - thanks goodness for TM!

I still had issues and blundered my way through the setting up up of new accounts and tinkering here and there, but I'd obviously not done it entirely properly, because all my photos and music was missing.

Late last night, I decided to use the Recovery HD. (Cmd-R) at startup and did a restore from the backup from a date just before I had the problem. Guess what? It's absolutely fine. Everything is working as expected with both ML and Parallels behaving as they should.

I'm a bit greyer, marginally wiser, but certainly grateful for the decision that I made a few months ago to buy an external HD to backup via Time Machine. If you are reading this and you haven't done it already, I recommend that it's the first thing you do when the shops open.

Regards Mitcherooney

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.