Hey Guys I need IMMEDIATE HELP WITH BUYING THIS MAC

Reaction score
The guy said he will give it too me for $650... Is this hardware good for the price? Im a graphic designer using all Adobe Creative apps.
I wanted a computer that could move fast while im working on big projects in PS,AI, etc. Check the picture for the specs. Please help. Thanks.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Also

he also said he will swap the 256 graphics card for a 512mb one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are the specs in the picture I took a good setup for what im trying to do?

What computer were you using previously for this stuff?

Also depends on your budget. You're not going to do much better for $352…than an 8-core Mac Pro like this.

And what upgrades would you recommend?

Depends on your needs:

- More ram.
- More internal hard drives (can have up to 4).
- Better video card.
- Install an internal SSD.

* Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but here are the recommended setting for Photoshop.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

I want to exceed these though so my computer isn't slowing down on big projects.

Using the $352 Mac Pro I linked above for comparison. It more than exceeds those minimum specs for Photoshop. Except…it would need a better video card. Of all the Photoshop specs…the video card is one of the most important specs.

As far as your projects…and good performance. This is where is gets difficult to give an opinion. There are projects of all shapes & sizes. This is where it would be great to know what the specs were on your previous Mac. That way we could compare your old Mac to any of these Mac Pro's.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

This first one looks pretty good spec-wise (better than the $352 Mac Pro above). But this is still an ongoing auction. Thus the final price cold end up anywhere.

This 2nd Mac Pro looks very interesting. But gets things back up to the price of the Mac Pro you started the thread with. For $649…I would want a better video card in it. If it had a better video card…this would almost be a "plug & play" setup.

If you added a better video card to this one yourself…then the price gets too high in my opinion.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And don't fall for sellers who advertise Photoshop, Office and other goodies included in the price. If you do not get the original DVDs and activation code, they are pirated and will not be able to be updated or transferred if you purchase a later model.

OP
L
Reaction score
This 2nd Mac Pro looks very interesting. But gets things back up to the price of the Mac Pro you started the thread with. For $649…I would want a better video card in it. If it had a better video card…this would almost be a "plug & play" setup.

If you added a better video card to this one yourself…then the price gets too high in my opinion.

- Nick

Ok, well is eBay the best place to look for the kind of Mac I want? It doesn't have to be exactly like what I was looking to purchase before but something that can handle the task of big photoshop files and also doing other things at the same time. I just want to find a really good deal for $700 or less. It's fine if its not a super computer at first im willing to upgrade it down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, well is eBay the best place to look for the kind of Mac I want?

eBay is probably the best place to shop for a used Mac. Lots & lots to choose from. Just got to "shop" for the deal that works for you.

A 2nd option is Craig's List. But the problem with Craig's List is. What you are looking for may not always be available. So with Craig's List you get to "test drive" the computer before buying…and the potential to get something at a great price (sometimes). Can be better prices than eBay. But the downside is what you want may not be available when you look.

A 3rd option are "formal" used Mac selling websites. Problem here is…these units generally cost a lot more than eBay (25-50% more sometimes).

eBay is probably the best option if you have an idea what you want…and don't want to spend a time of time looking/waiting.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
eBay is probably the best place to shop for a used Mac. Lots & lots to choose from. Just got to "shop" for the deal that works for you.

A 2nd option is Craig's List. But the problem with Craig's List is. What you are looking for may not always be available. So with Craig's List you get to "test drive" the computer before buying…and the potential to get something at a great price (sometimes). Can be better prices than eBay. But the downside is what you want may not be available when you look.

A 3rd option are "formal" used Mac selling websites. Problem here is…these units generally cost a lot more than eBay (25-50% more sometimes).

eBay is probably the best option if you have an idea what you want…and don't want to spend a time of time looking/waiting.

- Nick

Hopefully I'm not being a bother. But this seems like a good buy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...593516?hash=item25b5b90cec:g:VwwAAOSw-zxWol7y

Im not sure exactly what I should be looking for in a good buy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully I'm not being a bother. But this seems like a good buy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...593516?hash=item25b5b90cec:g:VwwAAOSw-zxWol7y

You don't want this computer…period!!! It's an older Mac Pro version that has some significant limitations. It's also extremely overpriced. It should be selling for close to $100 (maybe $150).

Im not sure exactly what I should be looking for in a good buy.

Sure you do!;) I've already told you that around $350 is a decent price for a moderately equipped Mac Pro 1186 with 8-cores (the latest computer you listed only has 4 cores)…note the "dual core" nomenclature. You also want to look for the additional model info of Mac Pro 3,1 or higher. The latest one you linked to is a Mac Pro 1,1.

Beyond this (for the best value for your money). More internal HD's would be better (if included)…more ram (more than say 4gig)…a 512meg or better video card…and an installed SSD would be nice. But all of these are things you can upgrade yourself…and in many cases more $$$ on top of a $350 Mac Pro 3,1.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Sure you do!;) I've already told you that around $350 is a decent price for a moderately equipped Mac Pro 1186 with 8-cores (the latest computer you listed only has 4 cores)…note the "dual core" nomenclature. You also want to look for the additional model info of Mac Pro 3,1 or higher. The latest one you linked to is a Mac Pro 1,1.

Beyond this (for the best value for your money). More internal HD's would be better (if included)…more ram (more than say 4gig)…a 512meg or better video card…and an installed SSD would be nice. But all of these are things you can upgrade yourself…and in many cases more $$$ on top of a $350 Mac Pro 3,1.

- Nick

So I should be looking for.
Mac Pro 3,1
8 Cores
+4 GB RAM
512 MB OR MORE Video Card

all for $350?

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I should be looking for.
Mac Pro 3,1
8 Cores
+4 GB RAM
512 MB OR MORE Video Card

all for $350?

This is what I would be shooting for as a minimum (you might "flex" on the video card of it's a 256meg card…and upgrade later).

Of course it's always possible to get more than this for $350…and this is where the good/great deal part plays in.:) Or if you get more than this in a deal…then expect to pay more.

Basically you need to shop eBay…then compare & contrast the various deals. Get to know what a Mac Pro 3,1 costs with 16gig of ram or 32gig of ram. With or without an SSD (and its size). With a better video card. With more HD's installed…etc. You develop a sense for these things as you shop.

Obviously you shouldn't even consider a Mac Pro 3,1 that has 8-cores, 4gig of ram, and a 256meg video card if it costs $450 or $500 (too much).

Also remember that most eBay listings are auction format. If you see a good deal on a Mac Pro 3,1 (and it has lots of extra goodies)…for $350. Remember to check how much time is left in the auction. If there's time left…there's a very good chance the price could go up significantly…and many times during the last 2 minutes of the auction (or even last 15 seconds if lots of folks are interested in it).

You could also look for "Buy It Now" or "Best Offer" deals. Since then the price you see with be the price you pay (or very close).

- Nick

p.s. Yes…this can be a hassle or a headache…if you don't enjoy "the hunt".;) If this is the case…then the easy way would be to pay the $650 for the Mac Pro originally mentioned in post #1…and call it a day.:) But if you want a better deal (get more for less $$$). Then you got to do what you're doing.:)

OP
L
Reaction score
This is what I would be shooting for as a minimum (you might "flex" on the video card of it's a 256meg card…and upgrade later).

Of course it's always possible to get more than this for $350…and this is where the good/great deal part plays in.:) Or if you get more than this in a deal…then expect to pay more.

Basically you need to shop eBay…then compare & contrast the various deals. Get to know what a Mac Pro 3,1 costs with 16gig of ram or 32gig of ram. With or without an SSD (and its size). With a better video card. With more HD's installed…etc. You develop a sense for these things as you shop.

Obviously you shouldn't even consider a Mac Pro 3,1 that has 8-cores, 4gig of ram, and a 256meg video card if it costs $450 or $500 (too much).

Also remember that most eBay listings are auction format. If you see a good deal on a Mac Pro 3,1 (and it has lots of extra goodies)…for $350. Remember to check how much time is left in the auction. If there's time left…there's a very good chance the price could go up significantly…and many times during the last 2 minutes of the auction (or even last 15 seconds if lots of folks are interested in it).

You could also look for "Buy It Now" or "Best Offer" deals. Since then the price you see with be the price you pay (or very close).

- Nick

p.s. Yes…this can be a hassle or a headache…if you don't enjoy "the hunt".;) If this is the case…then the easy way would be to pay the $650 for the Mac Pro originally mentioned in post #1…and call it a day.:) But if you want a better deal (get more for less $$$). Then you got to do what you're doing.:)

Ok I kind of get the pricing now, its just kind of a shock to me... From going from 650 -> 350.
One thing I get confused about is like what I can put over the other for example...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...586212?hash=item4d40ea6a24:g:CWsAAOSwZQxW5N3c

This seems like a good deal to me. Because of the fact that it has a 3tb plus an ssd plus a good amount of ram on it and a 512 mb video card... but then again its $650 which the only changes I see from my original is 3 times or so more amount of storage, an SSD included. and from seeing that I feel like its a really good deal.

I've been searching and searching and searching but most are auctions so like you said they will probably go up. So my question is would the storage plus the SSD be worth the $650?

another example....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29170628668...ms=gh1g=I291706286680.N34.S1&autorefresh=true

This one has 26GB of RAM. But no SSD and a small amount of storage... So say if this gets sold for like $500 would that be a good deal because of all of the RAM?

And I cant find any macs with the requirements you suggested. Its either they have them fully upgraded going for $600+ like the one I listed first in this reply. Or they are poopy machines that go for around the same price of a somewhat upgraded machine.. If its not a bother could you link another Mac that you think is a good deal? So I can either buy it :Smirk: or use that as a reference for looking for good buys.

OP
L
Reaction score

Here is another computer I looked at that is pretty basic but looks like I can use my left over money to upgrade it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...sh=item4afa97530f:g:Q7QAAOSwZ8ZW3adL#viTabs_0

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I kind of get the pricing now, its just kind of a shock to me... From going from 650 -> 350.

Yes…that's why I alerted you in my first post in the thread that I thought $650 was too high…and that you could do better.:)

One thing I get confused about is like what I can put over the other for example...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...586212?hash=item4d40ea6a24:g:CWsAAOSwZQxW5N3c

This seems like a good deal to me. Because of the fact that it has a 3tb plus an ssd plus a good amount of ram on it and a 512 mb video card... but then again its $650 which the only changes I see from my original is 3 times or so more amount of storage, an SSD included. and from seeing that I feel like its a really good deal.

I've been searching and searching and searching but most are auctions so like you said they will probably go up. So my question is would the storage plus the SSD be worth the $650?

Maybe better ways to ask this question are:

- Are those extras worth an extra $300 ($350 to $650)…effectively doubling the price?
- Are these extras things you WANT…and willing to pay extra for?
- Would you rather buy a "basic system"…then upgrade it the way YOU want it upgraded?
- Maybe the upgrades in a more expensive setup are worth it (to you)…and even if that "value" doesn't add up to $300 ($350 to $650…or whatever price the setup is)…maybe there is also some residual value in the fact that it is ALREADY upgraded…thus you don;t have to shop & upgrade it yourself (time, hassle, headaches…possibly).
- If you're going to spend upwards of $650 for an upgraded Mac Pro 3,1. It may also be a good idea to see what the best deal you can get on a Mac Pro 4,1 (newer model). Newer models have newer designs…which makes them faster, more compatible with newer hardware (possibly better video cards)…maybe less expensive ram…maybe a tad longer useful life.

* Nick

another example....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29170628668...ms=gh1g=I291706286680.N34.S1&autorefresh=true

This one has 26GB of RAM. But no SSD and a small amount of storage... So say if this gets sold for like $500 would that be a good deal because of all of the RAM?

Do the research.:) What does the extra ram cost if you purchased it separately (on eBay)? $500 - $350 = $150. If the extra ram costs more than $150…then purchasing the computer already upgraded is worth it. But also only worth it if you need 26gig of ram.

And I cant find any macs with the requirements you suggested. Its either they have them fully upgraded going for $600+ like the one I listed first in this reply. Or they are poopy machines that go for around the same price of a somewhat upgraded machine...

Sometimes even with the vast selection of units on eBay…what you're looking for exactly may not be available at this very moment. The magic mystical setup you're looking for could be posted later today, tomorrow, or a week from now.

Also…as I mentioned above. You could always buy a more "basic unit" (great price)…then upgrade it yourself…exactly how you want it. But "word to the wise". With my many years of purchasing used computers. You always come out ahead if you purchase a computer already upgraded…then to upgrade a computer yourself (unless the "basic computer" is purchased at a very low price).

- Nick

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.