• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help unable to burn to DVD

Reaction score
I am trying to burn a video file to DVD in a format which can be played on a domestic DVD player.
I have tried the .mvk and .meg format using Burn and a couple of trial versions of Wondershare DVD Creator and Cisdem DVD Burner.To do this I purchased a bog standard portable drive from Amazon.Each time the burning with error messages telling me the burn failed but no reason which was no help at all.I know it is not a lot to go on but can anyone help in anyway to suggest where I am going wrong.My machine is a MacBook Air M1 running OS Ventura 3.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
In Burn, make sure you are doing the following:
In the Burn window, select "Video" along the top and "DVD Video" from the pop upon the right. Drop your video file onto the main part of the window. If the video is not mpeg, then you will be asked if you want to convert it to mpeg. Agree.

When that has finished, click "Burn"

Does that work?

krs

Reaction score
In Burn, make sure you are doing the following:
In the Burn window, select "Video" along the top and "DVD Video" from the pop upon the right. Drop your video file onto the main part of the window. If the video is not mpeg, then you will be asked if you want to convert it to mpeg. Agree.

When that has finished, click "Burn"

Does that work?
That's what I used to do years ago and it worked just fine.

I;m not sure what a "bog standard portable drive" is in the OP's post - I assume it's a standard DVD burner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.