HELP: Older Macbook Pro 17 is requiring SMC Reset to start after leaving it sleeping!

Reaction score
I always put my Macbook Pro 17 to sleep when I'm not using it and unplug the magsafe power adapter then too. A couple weeks ago I opened the lid and clicked "Return" to login and nothing happened. The light in the front wasn't pulsing like it does when the computer is sleeping. I assumed the old battery had finally died so I replaced it with a new one and the computer started right up as usual.

Earlier this week the same thing I described above happened again so this time I did an SMC Reset (Unplug power > Pull battery out > Press power and hold for 5 seconds > Put battery back and plug in power adapter > Start). It had been a very long time since I had done an SMC Reset and the computer was working perfectly when I started it so I went on with my work.

Today, just 3 or 4 days after the SMC Reset, I tried to start it again and was faced with the exact same situation. I did an SMC Reset again and was able to start the computer immediately and it's working perfectly. I noticed that the battery was NOT discharged much after I started it even though I had been away from the computer for about 7 hours - and it charged up to 100% like normal. I rely on this computer for my work so I'm beginning to get concerned. :Confused:

QUESTION:

Can someone please tell me why this is happening?

Thank you.

NOTE: This is an early 2008 (A1261) Macbook Pro 17 running OSX 10.9.5.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of battery did you replace the old one with? I know Apple no longer sells the original battery for your MacBook Pro because it's vintage, nor will Apple work on it for the same reason. A 2008 MacBook Pro is getting close to being a 9 year old machine. If you still have your original DVD set (probably Leopard) run a hardware check to see if the battery and charging circuits are in working order.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I'm pretty sure both batteries are generic ones I bought off of eBay. I think I'll just have to keep the power adapter plugged in all the time.

Will a hardware check using the original DVD set still work on 10.9.5?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Sure, since you will booting from the original DVD set that came with your 2008 MacBook Pro.

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried booting from Disk 2 when starting the computer while pressing the D key and every time it just booted like normal. So instead, I installed Onyx and went through all the steps of repairing permissions and files. I was able to start the computer like normal this morning which is a good sign considering it had gotten to the point where it was requiring me to do an SMC reset every time before that. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything is okay now...

For future reference, do you know why I couldn't do the hardware test from Disk 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I tried booting from Disk 2 when starting the computer while pressing the D key and every time it just booted like normal. So instead, I installed Onyx and went through all the steps of repairing permissions and files. I was able to start the computer like normal this morning which is a good sign considering it had gotten to the point where it was requiring me to do an SMC reset every time before that. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything is okay now...

For future reference, do you know why I couldn't do the hardware test from Disk 2?
To boot from cd/dvd drive, you need to hold down "C".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I remember correctly, (been ages since I ran Leopard) you have to hold down the "D" key while booting from Disk 1. Disk 2 is not bootable and for the most part contains apps and other things to be installed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To boot from cd/dvd drive, you need to hold down "C".

Disk 2 in the Leopard set is not bootable. He has to use Disk 1. And I believe he can hold down the "D" key while booting from Disk 1 to get to the hardware test. It's been a long time since I used Leopard so I may very well be not remembering right. ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just curious here and wondering if that Mac will boot up using Safe Boot Mode and bypassing and not doing any SMC reset .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Next time, do multiple SMC resets, one after another.

OP
M
Reaction score
I followed the instructions here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257 for the Apple Hardware Test but wasn't able to get it to work. Maybe it was because I used Disk 2 instead of Disk 1?? I ran Onyx 4 or 5 days ago and (fingers crossed) so far everything seems to be working fine. Yay!

Thanks for your input, guys! :)

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I'm pretty sure both batteries are generic ones I bought off of eBay. I think I'll just have to keep the power adapter plugged in all the time.

Practically all oem batteries are s**t. Only Anker (Amazon) and NewerTech (owc) are acceptable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, OS X Mavericks 10.9.2, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7,16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
I'm having similar problems with my early 2011 MBP. Often, when I open the cover, the screen remains black for a period of time. I'm also getting an error message that says there is another device on my network having the same IP address. I've tinkered a bit and found that I can reduce the length of the black screen time by decreasing the length of time for screen sleep in the Energy Saver screen of Preferences. Several other odd occurrences led me to restore Sierra and re-install doc's from Time Machine drive yesterday. That really seems to have had no effect.

I'm going to try to run the AHT now.

Reaction score
I had the same problems with replacement batteries and waking my macbook up from sleep. Try this in oder:
1.) Repair and verify Disk permissions.
2.) Reset the NVRAM/PRAM.
3.) Reset the SMC.
If you need a good replacement battery for your older MacBook Pro, try ifixit. I've gotten mine from them for my late 2008 MacBook Pro, and they seem to work fine. It seems replacement batteries that are not from Apple need a little jump start like I mentioned above. I hope this helps.
Sticks

Reaction score
My solution was:

I have a 2008 15" MacBook Pro that was having similar problems as the first poster in this thread. WIFI cars was shutting off every time it went to sleep and Photoshop processing was getting slower and slower. (especially compared to my iMac) Rather that spend the money for a new one I decided to first do a couple of much cheaper upgrades:

First: I installed what what then the latest OSX, I think it was Yosemite. That helped with my WIFI problems.
Second: I replaced the original drive with a Crucial SSD drive. CT500MX200SSD1 I saw the difference for that as expected.
Third: Even though that Mac was not supposed to recognize more than 4GB RAM I installed 8 GB. (Crucial again) System information sees it and I can see the difference.

2 years later, this computer still serves me beautifully as a travel machine. I have not had any problems since the upgrade, it runs Sierra easily and I am sure I would have had to buy 2 if not 3 Windows PCs (and Windows OS upgrades) to have what this MBPro gives me.
I am very pleased.
Hope this helps.
John

OP
M
Reaction score
I have a 2008 15" MacBook Pro that was having similar problems as the first poster in this thread. WIFI cars was shutting off every time it went to sleep and Photoshop processing was getting slower and slower. (especially compared to my iMac) Rather that spend the money for a new one I decided to first do a couple of much cheaper upgrades:

First: I installed what what then the latest OSX, I think it was Yosemite. That helped with my WIFI problems.
Second: I replaced the original drive with a Crucial SSD drive. CT500MX200SSD1 I saw the difference for that as expected.
Third: Even though that Mac was not supposed to recognize more than 4GB RAM I installed 8 GB. (Crucial again) System information sees it and I can see the difference.

2 years later, this computer still serves me beautifully as a travel machine. I have not had any problems since the upgrade, it runs Sierra easily and I am sure I would have had to buy 2 if not 3 Windows PCs (and Windows OS upgrades) to have what this MBPro gives me.
I am very pleased.
Hope this helps.
John

UPDATE: I got excited after reading that you put 8 gb's of ram in your 2008 MBP 15. I just called OWC and since my early 2008 MBP 17 is Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1 she said 8 gb wouldn't work in it. According to them, others have tried installing 8 gb in my model and the computer wouldn't boot.

So I have a few questions, please...

1) Are you absolutely sure your 2008 Macbook Pro has 8 gb's of ram and not just 6? (I'm asking because way back I was told my Mac could handle 6 max so that's what I stayed with all these years.)

2) Is your 2008 MBP 15 an early or late model?

3) Can you please tell me what the Model Identifier is? (Apple > About This Mac > Overviews > System Reports > Hardware Overviews (2nd one down)

4) Do you remember where you bought the memory?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you absolutely sure your 2008 Macbook Pro has 8 gb's of ram and not just 6?

Select your specific model from here and check:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

All the 2008 MBPros I quickly browsed over are limited to 6GB.

If they could have used more, that site would have said so or how!!!

Or from a very reliable local expert and Mac experienced seller:
Macintosh MacBook Pro 15" and 17" Santa Rosa (mid 2007) and Penryn (Early 2008) models
intel Core2Duo 2.2 GHz, 2.4 GHz, 2.5 GHz, 2.6 GHz
MacBookPro3,1, MacBookPro4,1
Two sockets, Officially, these can take 2 x 2 Gb for 4Gb total
6 GB with one 2 GB and one 4 GB module

http://canadaram.com/apple_macbook_pro.htm

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Select your specific model from here and check:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

All the 2008 MBPros I quickly browsed over are limited to 6GB.

If they could have used more, that site would have said so or how!!!

Or from a very reliable local expert and Mac experienced seller:
Macintosh MacBook Pro 15" and 17" Santa Rosa (mid 2007) and Penryn (Early 2008) models
intel Core2Duo 2.2 GHz, 2.4 GHz, 2.5 GHz, 2.6 GHz
MacBookPro3,1, MacBookPro4,1
Two sockets, Officially, these can take 2 x 2 Gb for 4Gb total
6 GB with one 2 GB and one 4 GB module

http://canadaram.com/apple_macbook_pro.htm

- Patrick
======

Yes I know that but jsmarsh said he has 8 gb in his 2008 MBP 15.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say jsmarsh has just posted some incorrect information regarding the MBPro model and amount of RAM installed or used. Period.

Amen.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, OS X Mavericks 10.9.2, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7,16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
I've tried restoring the entire system, resetting NVPRAM, and doing the SMC reset by removing the battery, pressing the power button for five seconds...all interesting, but in the end - no joy. I still have the problems I posted in this thread earlier.

On the other hand, even with those problems, I've developed ways to cope with the shortcomings and all moves forward, (just ain't right is all).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.