Help – my Macbook Pro won't turn on!

Reaction score
When I attempt to turn on my Macbook Pro, the following happens:

—The Sleep Indicator Light turns on
—Nothing else happens (the screen remains black, there's no startup chime, etc).
—When I first tried turning it on this morning, I heard the fans whirring loudly, but now the fans are silent. (I was recently having some problems with my fans, so I downloaded SMC Fan Control; could that be the problem?)

I called Apple and they suggested a hardware failure. So I have a few questions:

—If it is a hardware failure, should I simply take it to a "Genius" (which could take weeks to even set up the appointment) and risk paying a bunch of money since it's past the one-year warranty? Is there another option?
—If it's not a hardware failure, what else might be going on?

Thanks for your help!

Details on my Macbook Pro are below:
14a9dm9.png

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
—If it is a hardware failure, should I simply take it to a "Genius" (which could take weeks to even set up the appointment) and risk paying a bunch of money since it's past the one-year warranty? Is there another option?

This is being VERY pessimistic. I've NEVER had a Genius Bar appointment take weeks to get. The longest I've had to wait for an appointment has been two days. And that was because the time slots available for same-day were not convenient.

There is no money risk. Generally Apple will check things out for free. Then if something is wrong…they will tell you what it is & how much to repair it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
+1!!!

As Nick says. And you're lucky if you have a Genius Bar close by. A $$$$ ferry trip and a full day away for us and a return.

Reaction score
My 2011 laptop wouldn’t finish booting up. I thought it was the HD. After trying to boot from a usb boot, I saw the graphics on the apple where crap. I googled “Apple laptop graphics crash.” Some laptops are under a program for repair. I took it to the Apple Store--it was covered under the program--free repair (otherwise it would’ve been $310 from them) for a logic board failure.

THE PROGRAM ENDS FEBRUARY 16!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE IT TO THE APPLE STORE NOW.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My 2011 laptop wouldn’t finish booting up. I thought it was the HD. After trying to boot from a usb boot, I saw the graphics on the apple where crap. I googled “Apple laptop graphics crash.” Some laptops are under a program for repair. I took it to the Apple Store--it was covered under the program--free repair (otherwise it would’ve been $310 from them) for a logic board failure.

THE PROGRAM ENDS FEBRUARY 16!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE IT TO THE APPLE STORE NOW.

OP has a 13" MacBook Pro. 13" models are not affected the graphics issue or covered under this program.

Thanks for the reminder that the program ends Feb 16th.:) I thought that it was Feb…but didn't remember the exact date.

- Nick

M

MacInWin

According to the Apple website, "The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until February 27, 2016 or three years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.