Help me whip it back into shape

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
Is there any possible way to get around this? Can I just do Safari? I just reset it and went through and logged back into about 15 things. It's still jerky BTW.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It sound like you don't want to do a clean install. Then try this, what ever version of the OS you are running get the combo update and install it over your current step up. If there are any corrupted files, that will take care of them. Then when you are finish repair the file permissions.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the Activity window when I do software updates:

Picture 18.png

M

MacHeadCase

First things first.

Like Todd and dtravis have already posted, take out the RAM that seems to be the source of the problems. Problems started after you installed a new RAM stick, did they not? I think this says a lot right there. Could be a coincidence but try going about this with eliminating possible culprits instead of trying a little bit of this and a little bit of that. If you do that everyone will be confused, including you and nothing will be solved, you dig? You need to be methodical here.

So take out the new RAM stick and run your iBook for a while with only the factory installed RAM.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I let the local Mac store do it, so I don't have the old RAM, and I wouldn't even know where to start, I know how to use a computer, not work on them. It's hard to tell what I'd do to it. :shock:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
There is RAM installed on that you cant remove. And then there is the RAM that you got installed. Remove the new RAM, and run it on the stock RAM.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would stretch, but I am computer tarded. LOL
I can take it back to the store and let them take care of it, my warranty is good until March or April or something.

M

MacHeadCase

I know you don't want to mess around with the innards, but it's easy to do, pulling out the new RAM.

Look at these Fixit Guides and choose your iBook model. Then just click on the RAM link and then click on Begin Installation. You will need a screwdriver and some patience.
icon10.gif

Edited to add:

Ok well if you go back to the store to let them have a look at the RAM, ask them to test the stick they put in. That will rule out the RAM if it is ok. If it isn't ok, then you have found the source of all the shenanigans.

Reaction score
Dude. Seriously.

If the computer is under warranty why don't you just bring it back to the store and show them what's wrong? Let them deal with it. They can fix it or replace it, either way you end up with a working Mac.

Reaction score
hmm, very odd, my ibook is of the same spec and runs very fast, I can have dashboard, itunes, photoshop and safari open and its still responsive.

What brand is the new memory?

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know, I had the local Mac shop put it in.
The system profiler says:
DIMM0/Built in
DIMM1/J7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Do this:

Take it to the mac shop.
Describe everything wrong with it.
Tell them you want everything fixed.
Be polite but firm.

:) This is how to deal with apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
download MainMenu and run all the maintnance scripts and do a deep clean of ur system...it can free up loads of ram

M

MacHeadCase

No, narf, don't distract him!
icon12.gif

He's supposed to take it back to the store (it's still under warranty) so they can perform all sorts of hardware tests and stuff.

In fact we're giving him 5 days to do so. If he hasn't done it by then, we're all going to ignore him.
icon10.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Guys, just a little insider, he officially hates his iBook. He says F U to the Mac community. He's buying a Dell, seriously guys.

I'm not joking. He's not posting here anymore. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.