• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help me spend/save money

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Something you may not realize - with an over-the-air antenna - the dishnetwork receivers can record 3 stations at a time - 2 satellite feeds and one over-the-air. I set up one in the attic just for this purpose and to be able to watch TV when the weather is interfering with satellite reception. (At least I would assume the 922 can do this - both the 622 and 722 will.)

Of course, don't know how far you are from your local towers. You can use this site to see if it's even feasible for you.
It does work on the 922 as well (put an antenna in my attic for the same purpose); the only difficulty is getting to Channel Guide as Dish software seems to want to hang in "Signal Has Been Lost" mode. The pop up error windows make it tricky on my set up to use the OTA feature when satellite reception is down, but it can be done.

EDIT: I agree on the cold, my blood has thinned with age. When I was younger I wanted to be a ski bum, now I'll settle for just being a bum.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
To deal with that, I have my antenna split and run it to both the sat recvr and the TV. When i need to I can switch over to using the TV tuner instead of the recvr.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To deal with that, I have my antenna split and run it to both the sat recvr and the TV. When i need to I can switch over to using the TV tuner instead of the recvr.

I've done that too . . . Of course that rules out DVRing OTA shows.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Well i still havent spent a dime. i keep threating to. i have been as far and giving my credit card to apple and amazon 3 times each. i really think i am ill and i need help.
i might have to invest into a therapist rather than more electronics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Well i still havent spent a dime. i keep threating to. i have been as far and giving my credit card to apple and amazon 3 times each. i really think i am ill and i need help.

Electronics is the best therapy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

You should use that money to buy a good bike. I love riding my bike to easy my mind! The best kind of therapy comes from not needing a therapist in the first place. I'd need a second therapist to cope with the costs of the first therapist!
20111017-fdbtddije1rh6fd943fmf3e1bq.jpg

:)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should use that money to buy a good bike. I love riding my bike to easy my mind! The best kind of therapy comes from not needing a therapist in the first place. I'd need a second therapist to cope with the costs of the first therapist!
20111017-fdbtddije1rh6fd943fmf3e1bq.jpg

:)

Where's the engine . . . or are you saving up for it? ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The engine....my legs!

That's too much like work . . . .. :Angry-Tongue:

Seriously, I have enjoyed riding my bike (don't have one at present) in the past, but I do not live in a bike-friendly environment, so I get my exercise (when I am mobile) on my feet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.