Help getting rid of Epoclick malware

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got the same problem running Safari on Mac OS X 10.5.8, but I don't understand the solution you're proposing, chscag. I'm sorry, don't know that much about computers, but I do really want to get rid of this thing. If you guys have found a solution could you please explain it to me?
Thx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to have to be more explicit. What "same" problem do you have? And why do you think it requires changing DNS settings?

OP
B
Reaction score
@chscag

THANKS!!!

The problem's fixed! (I think) It's been about 24 hours and I have no pop-ups or random searches at all! woohoo!

The fix seems to be, after verifying it's not a problem with your router, just simply going into your control panel and typing in a new DNS server. However, I'm not 100% sure on everything, but that seems to be the fix if you have Verizon FiOS. Other ISP's might be slightly different. Just verify everything with Mr. chscag.

Again, Thanks chscag!! The PM you sent me solved it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Brandonn:

That's great to hear. :) I love my Verizon FIOS connection and the TV of course but it was a struggle there for awhile until I was able to get everything sorted out.

The whole key to get everything working right is getting hold of a Verizon tech who also uses Mac hardware and understands its inner workings. I was lucky in that one of the techs here in Dallas - Fort Worth is an avid Mac user and was able to walk me through the DNS settings.

Anyway, glad to hear you're up and running. Enjoy it and be sure to visit us often.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great news for sure. I was sure it was a DNS issue. I was also hoping you did not accidently download an DNS changer. Glad to hear the DNS address change took care of the issue.

Good Job.

Reaction score
Sorry to drag this thread on...but, I have the exact same problem with these epoclick.com windows that open behind an active window. I am not very savy with computers. I was able to log into the my verizon router using admin and password1. I also went to system preferences>networks>advanced>DNS on my mac. However, I don't understand exactly what I need to do from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

OP
B
Reaction score

From there,

In the left hand column, click the plus button at the bottom and type in a new primary, and then again for a secondary DNS address. You can probably find popular DNS server addresses on google or from suggestions from other people on here.

Hope that helps!

-Brandon

Reaction score
@ chscag: the problem I had/have was/is also epoclick windows and other random searches popping up. I have now tried changing the DNS to a Google Public DNS and hope it will work.

Thx a lot already

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And to all ....... Get rid of Frostwire ..... LOOK at the problems it is causing on your Mac which none of us want.

More trouble than its worth..... Just like LIMEWIRE YEck, yuck, ouch Ewwww Shudders

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And to all ....... Get rid of Frostwire ..... LOOK at the problems it is causing on your Mac which none of us want.

And can I say an Amen to that! Anyway, I suspect it won't be long before the MPAA and RIAA get Frostwire grounded.

C

chas_m

I know nothing of Frostwire except that its related to Limewire, which was often the source of directory corruption issues in my experience and was ... shudder ... a Java program, so I never thought much of it. Was glad to hear they closed it down.

When I look at time, effort and money overall, I find little use for most P2P programs. Some use, yes -- but overall it's WAY overrated IMHO.

Reaction score
Epoclick Problem Revisited

Hopefully you Mac experts can help me out on this issue. I have been having the same problem with the epoclick invasion. Really annoying! I have Earthlink through Brighthouse with a Motorolla modem and I use Airport Extreme as my router. I have read through the posts in this forum and cannot understand what I need to do to fix this. Please bear with me. I am a USER not a TECHNICIAN and am afraid to screw up my connection to the internet. My AppleCare account just expired! :Confused:

Reaction score
Hey,
for me the proposed solution worked. Go to system preferences>networks>advanced>DNS>In the left hand column, click the plus button at the bottom and type in a new primary, and then again for a secondary DNS address. I used Google Public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (see Google Public DNS).
I hope that will work for you too.
Thx to those who found the solution!

Reaction score
Thanks, Lex! I have done as you suggested. I will let you know the outcome, but so far so good!:D

Reaction score
help

Sorry for being such a idiot on this one. I also have this epoclick crap. I have a macbookpro and I am using a Linksys N router. All this talk anout DNS I dont get. I dont see in my mac where this is anything I can change. As for the router I have no clue how to change it. I will also say that there are two PCs using this same wireless router also and they are not having these problems. If it were in the router would all of the computers be having the same problems? I would really like some help here this thing is driving me nuts. Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read back through the replies above your post and also search the forums for how to change DNS settings. Nothing difficult about doing it.

Reaction score
Read back through the replies above your post and also search the forums for how to change DNS settings. Nothing difficult about doing it.

Nothing difficult about doing it but...

If I delete the airport setting on my MacAir 10.5.6 system and start again the following happens:-

1. when airport connects the Mac to the wireless router the ISP DNS and search domain appear in the Network preferences DNS window, as they should, however;

2. after a few seconds the address and domain disappear and are replaced by the following two protected addresses (they can't be deleted);

3. If I add another DNS address such as 8.8.8.8 (Google) that address disappears after a few seconds always leaving the 2 bogus entries only;

4. I don't think this has anything to do with the Buffalo router I'm using here in Japan - the correct entries are loaded into the Mac when airport is added;

5. Utrace suggests that these addresses belong to a Promnet Ltd in the Ukraine;

6. I'm having trouble running ClamXav - can't get the virus definitions downloaded so I don't know if this would help resolve the problem.

Trimcat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.