Help choosing a router

Reaction score
I'm switching from the supplied cable router/modem combo and getting separate devices. I was about to get one of the ac1200 models on Amazon, probably the t-link archer model. Then I saw some of the most recent airport extreme models on eBay for about the same price. I'll have one airport express acting as an extender and one that's just used for wired Airplay (a bit of an oxymoron).

Most of my stuff is wired so it will just be 2 iPhones using the wifi most of the time. From the router I plan to connect my Mac mini and am Ethernet switch that will go to my TV, Xbox, etc. I currently pay for 150mbps internet.

I just read that the AE caps wired speeds at about 320mbps. Why is this? It is still over my input speed but not much future proofing there. I will be streaming movies from my Mac to my WDTV over Ethernet; would I notice any difference over the 320 vs gigabit?

Any reason why an AE would work better with my AX and phones since they are all Apple? How would wifi speed and coverage compare between the two? I prefer the looks of the AE as it will be on my counter but don't want to sacrifice performance.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Get an Apple Time Capsule. Pricey...but nice!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Agree with Nick. Or a Extreme. Apple routers play well together.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Any reason to avoid the extreme because of the slower than gigabit speeds or is 325mbps fast enough for any kind of streaming I would want to do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.