HD or Bluray?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB Mem
Might be a silly idea but.. and way way way off the topic... lol
Get a player that plays both of the formats...
I think LG has one.. and maybe some other companies came out with it too..

that's only when you got the extra $$$ to spend...

if you do, no worries about format for now i guess... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
LG do do a duel format player, but it doesn't support the advanced features of HD-DVD. The HD-DVD logo doesn't appear on the player, i.e. it's not licensed to use the technology.

The new Samsung duel format player will do though. However it will be cheaper to buy one of each single format player, but less convenient.

Oh and FYI, VHS was free to use, Betamax has to be paid for (a licence i guess). So Betamax lost despite it's superior quality.

Reaction score
1080p

to gobimama:
the PS3 is ahorrible player anyway

I hope you have experience with the product before commenting like that. I dont have HD-DVD or Blu-Ray because I dont have a 1080p tv. I personally think that either one of the products will become another option to watch movies and will not replace DVD's. Unless you have a 1080p tv, either player is almost useless. You also have to have a 1080p tv that is 50 inch or larger to fully appreciate the picture. Just my $ .02.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24" - 2.8ghz - 2 Gig Ram - 500 Gig HD
to gobimama:
the PS3 is ahorrible player anyway

Why would you say that? You clearly DO NOT have a PS3.

I own the PS3 and the Xbox 360. I am an avid movieholic. I collect them and LOVE watching them. I bought my PS3 mainly (95%) for it's Blu-Ray capability and the fact it was the CHEAPEST and most flexible Blu-Ray player on the market and STILL IS. Firmware updates for this beast are always out and always address any issues that may arrise. For the most part - it's future proof. As for game playing, that is what I do with the other 5%. I mainly use my Xbox for game playing right now. I am not going to lie, the PS3 sucks for gaming as there are hardly any good games out. The Xbox is more established in that area.

Anyways, the PS3 is the BEST Blu-Ray player out. So you might want to do a bit of research before you start bashing it like that. Also, Blu-Ray is going to be the winner in this format "war". It is leaps and bounds ahead of HD-DUD as far as usefullness and technology goes. I love it.

Blu-Ray has the following capacities - 25gig, 50gig, Soon to come - 100gig, 200gig. the 100/200gig discs will be playable with ONLY a firmware upgrade, no hardware needed.

HD-DUD has the following capacities - 15gig, 30gig. They leave a lot to be desired. Their hardware can not play higher capacity discs without new hardware. They also lack room for larger encodes and usually SKIMP on quality to enable the entire feature film to be placed on the disc.

Anyways - It's Blu for me and it's Blu for Apple as well. They will not be doing HD-DUD!

FYI - We have 3 42" plasmas all doing 1080p in glorious High Def!!! it's beautiful!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.