• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Has anyone here used an exercise ball as a chair?

Reaction score
Ha! At the old studio I worked at, my boss brought one in just for kicks. I noticed I kept rolling it over to my office area and sitting on it. I actually really enjoyed it. The only problem was, when we offered it to clients for a seat while they reviewed their product... They were quite taken back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Dude! I use ball chairs all the time. I have 2 back problems, and I KNOW using a balancing ball/fitness ball makes me feel so much better. The only problem is that sometimes the ball doesn't fit around computer desks(they have that leg area room that is too small for a ball to come close enough for you to sit near the computer). If you don't have problems though, stop wasting your time! Seriously, you won't need it. The only good thing about it is that it releaves rear pressure, and forces you to correct your posture in order to stay upright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
An college instrutor of mine used one all the time. When asked he said it improved his posture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
tried this once, ended up falling off the dang thing and smacking my head on my computer, never again!

Reaction score
OK, here's my second post (at least the first one was about Macs).

I got one of these balls when I was in massage school because the instructors seemed to think they'd work better for people who were moving around but needed to sit at the same time; plus, they were supposed to be good for your posture and I do have a bad back. But I found that it rolled *too* much and was really hard to control. This would probably not be a problem if you had limited space around your desk. Then the problem would be, as someone else mentioned, whether it fit. Unfortunately, because they're circular the height of the ball (and of the seat) is also the diameter. But they do cushion the low back well - I actually had physical therapy using one - so if you have back problems a ball might help.

As for the kneeling chairs - I've had *many* of those; there was a time when that was all I could use without pain. They do help you sit up straight, but they have some disadvantages. One is, they're not great if you have bad knees; that's where all the pressure goes when you're sitting in one. The other is, some of them have weight limits. I bought one online and when I was assembling it noticed a small sticker on the bottom of the knee pad that said "weight limit 200 pounds." There was nothing about this mentioned in the online description. It was OK for me, but when I finally sold it I made sure I put that in the ad; I didn't want to be liable if someone bought the chair from me and it collapsed under them. So if you do buy one of these make sure you check that out. (Also - I don't personally think the backrest is worth it; I'm not sure how anyone could use it when they're sitting in a chair like that. Same with armrests.)

I hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yes I know on the surface it seems sort of funny...but the idea is for people that sit & work at a desk all day...it's supposed to help strengthen muscles that get weak from doing all of the sitting (legs, back, etc.)....as well as helping with stability & balance.

I'm not saying it's for everyone...just explaining the concept.:)

- Nick

I could also see it forcing you to sit with good posture, so that your back doesn't ache. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
An exercise ball as a chair huh? Interesting, as long as you don't fall off. I'm currently sitting in a homemade wooden, chair...thing... That we got at a yard sale (It actually is a nice chair that somebody put a lot of time into) But then again, I probably won't be getting back problems for another 25 years. ;)

C

chas_m

Thoughts:

1. Apple stores have used the "exercise ball" type device as the default "chairs" for the kids play area for years. I think they can be of some use to people with bad backs but they also put a LOT of strain on you to keep upright. "Comfortable" is not a word I'd ever use with one.

2. The "kneeling" chairs have been around since the 70s and were and are a huge scam. Yes, you'll sit upright better ... and destroy your knees in the process, not to mention the poor circulation to your calves and feet.

I've never sat in one, but the "Swopper" seems to me a much better idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I've sat on an exercise ball for... fun? Recreation? But doing it all day would make my core extremely sore. All day is something that one should probably work up to.

Reaction score
Exercise Ball

The new idea is now standing, not sitting. There are also workstations with a 1-mph treadmill to use while standing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.