Hard Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a mid 2010 27" iMac with 1TB SATA Hard Drive, I would like to

a) Add a SSD as the "main drive" using one of the mounting kits which I believe you can get and ..

b) add a 2TB SATA Drive (or greater) where my existing HD is mainly for data storage, and ..

c) replace the optical drive with Blu-Ray burner (I know additional software is needed to play Blu Ray discs)

Can anyone advise if this is possible? I have done some searching and it seems possible but can't seem to get a definitive answer if you can make an added on drive the one here macOS will reside.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Check out fixit.com for repair/service guides for your iMac, https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel_27"

I'm not so sure about the second hard drive, as usually to put a second hard drive, usually the optical drive must go. Just get an external blu-ray.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be aware you need a spoecial heat sensor kit unless you use an identical drive to the original. Part of Apple's non-user friendly approach. Go to macsales.com as they have a kit to get over the problem of no sensor. Suggest an OWC SSD whilst there.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD09/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro5.1,Dual2.4GHzXeon,10.13.6,4x6TB HD,128GB Mem,Dual 32" monitors
Aaah MacSales

Be aware you need a spoecial heat sensor kit unless you use an identical drive to the original. Part of Apple's non-user friendly approach. Go to macsales.com as they have a kit to get over the problem of no sensor. Suggest an OWC SSD whilst there.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD09/

Isn't Other World Computing great!!! They provided the memory, the bluray burner and all my HDDs.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the heads up guys. So I take it installing OSX on a SSD is a non starter if its using the spare SATA port, and not mounted where the existing one/optical drive is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I take it you do not know a l;ot about Mac? When you format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled) you can then select it to install an operating system on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So I take it you do not know a l;ot about Mac? When you format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled) you can then select it to install an operating system on.

And a bit scary considering that's about the easiest thing to do on the list… :\

OP
M
Reaction score

I do, I just want to be sure before I commit to anything, and to get the best advice on what kit to buy ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There really is only one as linked to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do it properly and give artificial control apps the flick. One more thing that can go wrong. Your Mac can manage its own fn speed if you do it the correct way.i

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.