• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Happy Birthday Kash!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1TB NAS, yep that'd be cool :D - I may do that next year.

Been backing up my pretty extensive DVD collection. Would like to get it set up to start streaming to the different locations in the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
happy late 13th birthday kash! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Happy Birthday Kash!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it :D

1TB NAS, yep that'd be cool :D - I may do that next year.

Been backing up my pretty extensive DVD collection. Would like to get it set up to start streaming to the different locations in the house.

I was actually doing some research into getting the media files to play on my TV as well as making them available to all the computers on my network. Turns out the Apple TV can't connect to network shares without hacking it, so I figured I would get myself a used Mac Mini and connect that to my TV, and buy an external hard drive instead of a NAS. With Leopard making sharing so much easier, I can just share the external drive on the network, and with my Mini connected via Ethernet, I can still get great streaming speeds (I have an 802.11n router) as I would have with the Apple TV. Plus, I get a full fledged computer on my 50" plasma ;P

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Good, then I'll know who to talk to about getting it all set up by then.
Already ran ethernet to the L.R., used when I had the 360 in there. Will have to run it to the bedroom yet.
Haven't done that much research on it yet. First thing I was wondering about was whether to get a 2nd router vs looking for an 8 or 10 port router to run the entire network. Can easily see needing 7 hard wired connections.
Let us know when you get yours set up and what you ended up going with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Thankfully, my router is in my living room (I too needed it for my 360 ;P), so I don't have to worry about wiring up a Mini.

I would love to have the two remaining desktops hooked up via ethernet, but they're too far away from the router and I don't feel like running wire through the walls. I tried streaming video between two of my Macs and it works pretty well. I looked over the benchmarks for my router and speeds are even better going from Ethernet to wireless, so I'm not too worried about lag or dropped frames when streaming video. Worst case scenario we'll just have to copy the episode/movie to the computer before watching it, which isn't that bad since transfer speeds over N are pretty good. At least I won't have to worry about all that when watching video on the TV :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.