• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

got scammed on ebay.. looking for advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Is there even an option to do that? I can't find one.

It's not really private either. It doesn't say what item was sold but it still shows you buyer response and rating. That should be what is most important. eBay does allow you to hide all feedback and not display any rating...that's what I thought you were talking about. :p

Reaction score
Wonder why you actually purchased it? From the description supplied it has had a real rough life and with a seller with pretty limited feedback, buyer beware! Never purchase from a seller with less than 98% positive feedback as PayPal only warrants goods from sellers with over 98%. To have only 96% from 30 odd transactions is pretty ordinary!

Right On!...I only try to buy from companies selling used product on eBay. They want be gone tomorrow.

Reaction score
Well..I would've done the same..told eBay AND have handed eBay the pictures of the laptop when YOU received it. But they probably would've leaned towards the seller and not the buyer, which is complete ********.

Just my two cents

OP
Q
Reaction score
I just call my credit card company again, inquiring about the status.
They didn't do anything for some reason. I am thinking maybe the lady I talked to two days ago didn't enter in my information correctly or something. Anyways, I got a much more helpful person and she told me to contact paypal first, because if the credit card is supposed to be my second line of defense.
So say if I file a dispute with my credit card first, and then if in the end the verdict doesn't go in my favor, then I cannot file a dispute with paypal.
But if I file a dispute with paypal first and that paypal doesn't side with me, then I can still file a dispute with my credit card.
So, I just called paypal filed a claim.

After this is over I want to write a letter to his parents saying what he did. But since he knows my name&phone&address, I am afraid of retaliation.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll keep post an update hopefully soon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope this does not upset you as it's not meant to at all. Just info for the future. I looked at that machine you won and the specs. It seems way overpriced for those specs. For that cost I could get a brand new Windows laptop with way better specs for that price. Just a heads up.

I hope you get your $$$ back. Sounds like you are on the right track. Hang in there.

Reaction score
I know it is too late for this particular advice, but consider it for future reference, and perhaps it will help others in the future.

If you receive an item which is not as described, document the differences as much as possible. Then, file and immediate complaint with PayPal. I know they say to try to work it out first, but the above situation is what one risks when doing so. By filing a complaint first, PayPal (which is just the payment division of eBay anyway) is immediately aware that there is a problem.

You will still need to take the necessary steps to work it out for yourself. But, as in this case, if the seller tries anything shady, you are already documented as having a dispute. Also, when a complaint is filed with PayPal, the seller is aware of it, and is therefore less likely to try pulling some shady stunt, like claiming the unit was returned damaged or altered. Another advantage of going through PayPal is all communications regarding the dispute go through PayPal, so they can, if needed, keep an eye on things and see if a seller or buyer changes their story during the dispute process.

As for the above situation, filing a complaint with PayPal is still your best bet. eBay/PayPal has access to his feedback - even the private stuff, so they can look at the history of the individual as part of their end of the investigation. Since you seem to have copies of all your communications, it is a good idea to send all that when you file your dispute.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB/ 60GB 5G iPod/ 160GB 6G iPod/ 8GB Nano/ 32GB 2nd Gen iTouch
File with Paypal. Don't bother with eBay themselves.

why not just file a paypal claim and call it a day. Paypal will side with the buyer 90% of the time.

I've had only two bad experiences with sellers on eBay. Filed a claim with Paypal both times and got my money back. Good luck.

Just a little advice. NEVER buy from any seller with less than a 98% rating and even so, look at their feedback. (just my rule of thumb)

Reaction score
Ok, I would consistently contact Paypal and the Credit Card company explaining that you got scammed. You could have told Paypal that if damages occurred it was due to shipping and the seller should have filed an issue through the shipping company. This way you have a chance of getting your money back, assuming you bought insurance. You can also email the seller saying you're getting the Police involved, considering you have his address. I would then call the police and they will actually file a report and if you're luck check out the issue as crazy as it sounds. I had a similar incident happen to me about a PS3 I sold to someone in Australia. The police got involved and I was able to get my money back. Good luck with the incident!

OP
Q
Reaction score
Well. What a wonderful news on sunday morning, I got the refund by paypal. My next step is to write a letter to his parents, when I have the time..
:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You got your money back so cut your losses and call it square. Letter writing will lead nowhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
Congratz! It's good to hear that ou got your money back!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.