google to bing in Safari

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Adobe reader, CNET, downloads dot com and a few other sites are doing exactly that.

I have personally forgotten to uncheck the box that's checked by default when installing an Adobe reader update and had it install 4 different extensions - including one that changed my default search engine to Bing.

May not be the case in the above, and this definitely is not going to get rid of something like Geneio - but, it is the first easy place to check - before you start looking everywhere for some piece of malware.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi there, the same problem here.
I just use mackeeper to find genieo files and erase them.
So i hope that the problem is solved.

M

MacInWin

You will probably find MacKeeper to more of a problem than a help in the long run. I'd get rid of it before it can do any mischief.

Reaction score
Ok problem solved.
First run MacKeeper or similar program,then find the files erase them and then go to safari extensions in safari preferences and you will find installer button.
Hit the button,that's all.

M

MacInWin

I recommend against MacKeeper. Getting rid of Genieo with that is like getting rid of a cold by getting the flu.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I recommend against MacKeeper. Getting rid of Genieo with that is like getting rid of a cold by getting the flu.

OK, I'm horrified!!! Good analogy though MacInWin. I suppose the next step is how to get rid of MacKeeper. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6352924?start=0&tstart=0

There is a simple way annotated in that thread.

EDIT: The post by John Galt. And read the stuff at the top about how if you've used it already, you need to reinstall OS X.

Not necessary to reinstall OS X IMHO. But doing so can sometimes fix some goofy behaviour. Like running the appropriate COMBO Update.

Besides one needs to fix any files it may have modified first and most parts will still remain in one's Users folders.

M

MacInWin

"Necessary" depends on how you used Mackeeper. As it says,
If you actually used MacKeeper to alter your system, e.g. "remove excess binaries" or such, you will need to reinstall OS X as well as all your additional software. Uninstalling MacKeeper is insufficient to reverse the corruption it is capable of - once again, that is if you used it.

If you merely installed MacKeeper but did not use it to perform any particular action, the following instructions will suffice.

Reaction score
Thanks, pm-r!

It took me awhile to fix google and firefox... because I kept looking in the wrong place for the new settings icon.. the three horizontal bars... because three horizontal bars makes soooooooo much sense as a settings icon.

The adware medic must have fixed Safari previously because that was ok... no search.strtpoint.

Anyway, guys... HOW do I prevent these pop-ups from trying to force me into downloading malware?
I've had it happen a few times in the last week. All I could do was quit the browser.

M

MacInWin

Adblock and Ghostery will block most adware. Adware Medic will clean out what has taken up residence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks, pm-r!

It took me awhile to fix google and firefox... because I kept looking in the wrong place for the new settings icon.. the three horizontal bars... because three horizontal bars makes soooooooo much sense as a settings icon.

The adware medic must have fixed Safari previously because that was ok... no search.strtpoint.

Anyway, guys... HOW do I prevent these pop-ups from trying to force me into downloading malware?
I've had it happen a few times in the last week. All I could do was quit the browser.

I'm not quite sure by what you mean being "forced" to downloading malware.

As MacInWin says, use his suggestions, and if you do get "trapped", there should be some way to back out of the offending page. Or if nothing else, quit the page/window - command+w and start from a new page.

Sorry if I'm way off base and not understanding the problem of if that doesn't work. ;)

And if there's anything left of "search.strtpoint.com", I'd do a search of your hard drive on it or parts of its name with Find Any File.
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/ FAF will certainly find it, even if it's hidden where you're not supposed to go!!! And it even provided to Delete immediately - it won't even get to your Trash.

I see some of the sites flogging removal methods are suggesting to use MacKeeper and even Avast, both applications should never be allowed anywhere near you Mac as you're no doubt aware by now, especially avoid MacKeeper!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok maybe not forced... but trapped with quitting being the only way out. I did have an instance where it downloaded without me doing anything. I think it was a fake flash site. Anyway, the search.strtpoint.com is gone and Chrome is FASTER now that I reset it.

I will look for adblock and ghostery and try it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.