good sata to firewire adapter for SSD

Reaction score
i'm going to uprade to an SSD in my MB pro, but I need to get a Firewire to SATA adapter to copy the HD to the SSD. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Why do you NEED to get a FireWire to SATA connector? When you buy the SSD, get a USB enclosure and put it in that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
i'm going to uprade to an SSD in my MB pro, but I need to get a Firewire to SATA adapter to copy the HD to the SSD. Any suggestions?

Hello, now I'm not one of the hardware 'gurus' here, especially in updating possibly 'dated' computers - for much more specific comments and advice, please provide more information on your MBPro, i.e. age, HD size, RAM present, etc. - also checkout OWC (Other World Computing) - plenty of SSD options and you can start a chat or call them to make sure exactly what your needs may be? Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How much data are we talking about transferring?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello, now I'm not one of the hardware 'gurus' here, especially in updating possibly 'dated' computers - for much more specific comments and advice, please provide more information on your MBPro, i.e. age, HD size, RAM present, etc. - also checkout OWC (Other World Computing) - plenty of SSD options and you can start a chat or call them to make sure exactly what your needs may be? Dave :)

What i meant was the best way to copy the HDD data to the SSD. I'd like to use firewire because USB is so slow. I was told by my IT guy to get a SATA to firewire adapter; then we'll just put the SSD into the MBPro. The machine can take the SSD; it's just the matter of copying/transferring the HDD data to the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
What i meant was the best way to copy the HDD data to the SSD. I'd like to use firewire because USB is so slow. I was told by my IT guy to get a SATA to firewire adapter; then we'll just put the SSD into the MBPro. The machine can take the SSD; it's just the matter of copying/transferring the HDD data to the drive.

Oops, after Nick's post, I re-read your OP and understand your needs - sorry for my misunderstanding and good luck! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I dare say by the time one actually gets any adapter, the transfer could have been done and completed even using any old USB speed. And how many times is it planned to use such an adapter and hope it's all compatible??

Just saying…

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it all depends on what MBP you have, USB2 or USB3 etc. Do you have an internal SSD? If not the platter internal drive will be a bottleneck and slow down the external SSD. For what you describe in thread 6 just use FW800 and say SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to clone the internal to the SSD. Using CCC or SD will make the SSD bootable before you pop it in. Depending how much you have on the internal, FW wiill do the job in an hour or so.

Also beware of damaging the SATA cable in your MBP. They get quite brittle with age and heat and can crack inside the casing without you being aware of it. Always good advise to use a new cable when you replace a drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I did some searching...and I was finding that this sort of adapter isn't super common. But...do some searching at monoprice.com. If they don't have it (or the price is too high)...then you don't need it.;)

Here's a file transfer time calculator. Don't know how much data you're transferring...or what sort of computer you have:

http://techinternets.com/copy_calc?do

Example #1...USB 2.0 speeds (your computer if not too old is probably at least USB 2.0...could be USB 3.0):

- 500gig of data
- USB 2.0 speed
- 10% overhead

Transfer time = 2 hours, 36 minutes, 26 seconds

Example #2 (firewire 400):

- 500gig of data
- Firewire 400
- 10% overhead

Transfer time = 3 hours, 10 minutes, 58 seconds

Example #3 (firewire 800):

- 500gig of data
- Firewire 800
- 10% overhead

Transfer time = 1 hour, 35 minutes, 29 seconds

Example #4 (USB 3.0):

- 500gig data
- USB 3.0
- 10% overhead

Transfer time = 22 minutes, 25 seconds

USB 3.0 would be the fastest (if your computer has USB 3.0).:)

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. The overhead I believe is to compensate for the fact that we never get 100% of the theoretical transfer speed for each of these file transfer methods. Adjust the "overhead" as necessary.
p.p.s. I used 500gig of data as an example. Of course adjust the amount of data transferred to the exact situation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.