good free/cheap EXIF editor?

Reaction score
Hi

could anybody recommend a good cheap or possibly free EXIF editor? Ive got 100s of scanned photos I need to change the dates for. I remember doing this years ago and used a good free app but can't remember what it was called.

thanks for any help!
Nick

Reaction score
Hi
In days gone by, I used File Multitool 5 (it may have been updated) for date changes, but I found it to be perfect for this job but be sure of the changes you make before committing. I cannot remember the cost, if any.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

OP
Y
Reaction score
thanks for that - is it this one? Looks interesting. that 'Can corrupt file attributes, although rare' gets me a little worried though :-/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi

could anybody recommend a good cheap or possibly free EXIF editor? Ive got 100s of scanned photos I need to change the dates for. I remember doing this years ago and used a good free app but can't remember what it was called.

You can do this in Photos.

Reaction score
Yonderboy

I don't fully understand your reply

Lifeusabeach

Could you explain how? It's rather a bald statement to say 'You can do this in Photos. I am sure many people would like to know how.

Thanks Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lifeusabeach

Could you explain how? It's rather a bald statement to say 'You can do this in Photos. I am sure many people would like to know how.

Right-click on the photo in Photos; click Get Info; change the date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
For batch processing, undoubtedly there's a file in the Mac App Store (a quick search for EXIF in the store turns up lots of apps). I can't offer any recommendation for any particular app, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (2012) and MacBook Pro (2015)
A great one is EXIFTool and the essential add on is jEXIFToolGUI:

I use jExifToolGUI frequently and you can see/edit all sorts of EXIF data in that. It is not (yet?) a polished app but does the job well. This is far better than the editing you can do in Photos. I use it for my work with satellites and was very happy when I found EXIFTool and then the GUI to make it easier to use.

Charles
astronomer, software writer, photographer, satellite tracker
Houston, Texas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, 3 GHz i5, 40gb RAM, 1TB Fusion int, 46TB ext drives, Catalina 10.15.7
I have used "A Better Finder Attributes" & "A Better Finder Rename" for years. They have an excellent set of options that cover every conceivable way to change ANY file's info. Inexpensive for the capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
Right-click on the photo in Photos; click Get Info; change the date.

I often drag or import pics from one external drive to my Mac but the date always changes so I do not have the date the picture was taken... which sometimes would be good to know.

I tried to see how to change date in a photo following the instructions.... but could not see option to change date. first line in get info... says screen shot and date.png and under that is the same date. could not change any date. any more tips??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I often drag or import pics from one external drive to my Mac but the date always changes so I do not have the date the picture was taken... which sometimes would be good to know.

I tried to see how to change date in a photo following the instructions.... but could not see option to change date. first line in get info... says screen shot and date.png and under that is the same date. could not change any date. any more tips??

In Photos? Double-click on the date and you get a new popup that will let you adjust the date and some other metadata. At least with the one I just double-checked. I could swear that the other day, the one I checked on was editable right there in the Get Info window. Maybe it depends on the type of file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
In Photos? Double-click on the date and you get a new popup that will let you adjust the date and some other metadata. At least with the one I just double-checked. I could swear that the other day, the one I checked on was editable right there in the Get Info window. Maybe it depends on the type of file?
just tried again.. double click worked tho had to wait a bit for other screen to pop up but worked like a charm... thnx

OP
Y
Reaction score
thanks for all your replies. Ive used Photos in the past (a few years ago now) but remember I had some issues with the EXIF data not being carried through if I exported the files from Photos. Perhaps ill try again and see if I have better luck.

Reaction score
I think that when you import the photos the EXIF data assumes, and changes the date to the import date. That's when I used the File Multi Tool program, It was able to do a 'batch change'.
I don't know if that helps at all.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That is not what I am seeing. Importing to Photos imports the image and the EXIF data, makes no changes. On export from Photos, the *File* it creates has a new date (time of export, obviously), but the EXIF data retains the date the image was originally shot.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hi, I remember now one of the issues I found with changing the dates within Photos. If I change the dates within photos and then simply drag the photo to the desktop, the date created date is shown as the old one. Its like the EXIF only holds true within the Photos app.

OP
Y
Reaction score
hmm... although trying it out in photos it seems a bit and miss, sometimes when I drag out a photo and view it in Preview it gives me the correct creation dates, but sometimes it just shows todays date :-/ I suppose as long as its correct in Photos that's the main thing. Its just that if ever I wanted to extract them in the future things would get very confusing

OP
Y
Reaction score
Another thing that often confused me is the EXIF data vs the File data which I gather is different

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.