Go easy; this is my first question (or two)...

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here. Glad we got that sorted.

Having used Macs for a few years now, there are a couple of things I've never been able to work out how to do, and this seemed a reasonable place to try and find out at last! These may sound really daft, but the two things wish to know how to do are:

1. Within a file save dialogue box (for example), how do I move up a level (i.e. into the parent folder of the one currently displayed)? There is no button for doing this (though Adobe, at least, provide one, Windows style, in Photoshop CS3). The best I can ever do is pick the nearest starting point from the right hand list and navigate all the way back down!

2. Within an alert box, such as appears if I try to quit TextEdit without saving, what key-presses are required to navigate/highlight the various options (i.e. "Don't save", "Cancel', "Save")? I always have to use the mouse, but there must be a way of doing it without!

(I have tried searching this forum, but neither problem has any very distinctive or obvious search terms!)

Thanks,

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For question 1, I have struggled with this too and never found an obvious way. So, since you are on a Mac, what do you do? You "think different"! Rather than navigating to the folder you want to go to by going up and down the folder hierarchy within the Save/Save As dialog, Windows style, instead type the name of the folder you are trying to get to in the little noticed Spotlight search box in the upper right of all such dialogs. This will take you where you want to go more or less instantly. This is what I do. For those cases where I can't remember the name without seeing it, I just give up and save the file to the Desktop, then use Finder to move it to wherever I wanted it to go.

Unfortunately, I cannot help with the second question.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For question #2 this works for me. Use the TAB to select which option you want. You will see the highlight move. Then hit the SpaceBar to activate that option.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. Near the upper-left corner of the Save As dialog (near the back/forward buttons) there are different view options. Choose the far right for a hierarchical view (left to right instead of a tree).

2. There's actually an option in Keyboard & Mouse under System Preferences. Go into the "Keyboard and Shortcuts" tab. At the bottom of the window, there's a section labeled "Full keyboard access:". Check the radio button that says "All Controls". Then the tab will navigate between buttons for you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
2. There's actually an option in Keyboard & Mouse under System Preferences. Go into the "Keyboard and Shortcuts" tab. At the bottom of the window, there's a section labeled "Full keyboard access:". Check the radio button that says "All Controls". Then the tab will navigate between buttons for you.

Thanks for mentioning that option. I have had mine that way for so long I keep forgetting others may not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
When the save box is fully expanded, there is a pop-up menu directly under the name field that lists the full hierarchy.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks! That's nailed question 2. The "all controls" radio button was the key (why on earth would you want this disabled?). I had never noticed it!

Still, it seems there is no easy way of simply jumping up a level in a save dialogue. I know there are different view options but, even with the rightmost option selected, you still can't view any higher than the folder you start off in. The spotlight box is probably the nicest idea - thanks for that. But if Adobe can make such a button, why can't Apple? I know it looks a bit Windows, but it sure is a useful button! (unless I've misunderstood one of the previous answers!) :Smirk:

Reaction score
Yea, I think you did misunderstand :) technologist pointed it out.

In the save box, right next to the icons for changing the view options, is a drop down that when you first open the save dialog is the folder you are currently in. When you click on it, it lists the hierarchy to that folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Glad I'm the one to answer, I think, question #1.

From within a save dialog, to easily move up a folder, press command + up arrow...

This should work anywhere in finder where you are viewing files/folders...

Hope this helps ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD

Thanks cwa - this has always bedevilled me. Now I now how to resolve it! Virtual rep, since it wouldn't let me give real rep ("must spread some around...", you know the message!).

OP
T
Reaction score
Glad I'm the one to answer, I think, question #1.

From within a save dialog, to easily move up a folder, press command + up arrow...

This should work anywhere in finder where you are viewing files/folders...

Hope this helps ;)

I like it - that is the one! Thanks!!

Now, I have trawled through lists of Apple keyboard shortcuts and never been able to find that one - how on earth are we supposed to find out such things when they are so poorly documented?!

Right, that's both questions answered satisfactorily - thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM

That's a question I've had for a long time too. Awesome tip - thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.