Gifting iPhone to child...what do you recommend

Reaction score
I am gifting my iPhone to my son.
He is turning 9 and it will be his first phone.

I want to obviously disable the ability to purchase any apps or similar.
I want to track his usage and app usage.

I assume a factory reset is in order (I bought a new iPhone and will transfer the backup).
Then an update of the iOS?
I assume I have to make him an Apple ID account and turn on Family Sharing.

Any input or recommendations?
What parental control app would you recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I checked with my daughter who has pretty tight controls on her kids phones, and she said it can all be done through Screen Time. She says they can text and talk all day, but have limited web time. She says his phone is paired to hers, so she can control what websites they are allowed to visit. There is a white list for that. So, if they want to add a site, they have to get her to add it to the list. Also can control app usage, contacts and content. Here is a link to Apple's help page.

Reaction score
e
I checked with my daughter who has pretty tight controls on her kids phones, and she said it can all be done through Screen Time. She says they can text and talk all day, but have limited web time. She says his phone is paired to hers, so she can control what websites they are allowed to visit. There is a white list for that. So, if they want to add a site, they have to get her to add it to the list. Also can control app usage, contacts and content. Here is a link to Apple's help page.

exactly, thru screen time

Reaction score
You can use screen time, family sharing as well as just use third party apps to maybe restrict him from using certain apps. However, I won't advise you to gift a phone to your 9 yo though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.