• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

::Genetics::

Reaction score
I don't know where it comes from, but my dad is bald, and I'm 25 and have a very shiny patch on the crown of my head, and the rest is going.

You can deal with it 2 ways. Freak out and think your life is over, or you can shave your head and look good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
chuckalicious said:
You can deal with it 2 ways. Freak out and think your life is over, or you can shave your head and look good :)

shave your head and HOPE you look good....

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yea lol., hope

Reaction score
techster82 said:
Yeah, I made an attempt at a joke. And Graphite, I think it is blue/green color blind but you may be right. All I know is I found this at TShirtHell the other day and I can't figure out what it says, can somebody help me out????

Shirt for the Rainbow Challenged
It says F the Colorblind :D I find it quite humorous...lol

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Yeah, I really can't see anything in the circle, so I had my girlfriend look at it and she died laughing. I guess I have to come to terms that I am a disabled person living in a world without color. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This should help you techster82

your probably not color blind just some colors are duller to you.

because you can see Green, Red, Blue, Yellow... with out mixing them up or seeing the same thing.. right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Hahaha, I can see, after all these years I can finally see!!!! Thanks Graphite for doing that. Right, I can distinguish between all of the colors, it is shades of colors that get me. I can confuse deep greens or blues, or purples to be black. Sometimes some yellows look green to me. Its weird.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good as long as you don't mix up this: Green, Red. those two are the most important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Well, male pattern baldness is both genetically determined and the result of environmental factors that effect hormone levels. The genetic component is polygenic (determined by a number of different genes) and some of these genes have incomplete penetrance (not fully expressed due to environmental factors). Me, my father, and brother are all bald (as said above, shave your head and go with it, comb-overs and implants look ridiculous)-- the guys on my mothers side all have their hair, and my maternal grandfather had hair his whole life, into his 80s.

I also hit the genetic lotto when it comes to color blindness. Blue-green deficient, but I never knew about it until I joined the military a few years back and flunked their test. It was never a problem, but I do remember thinking it silly when my teachers would use blue colored chalk on a green chalkboard because it was impossible to decipher-- turned out it was just me. Anyways, there are different types of colorblindness that can be sex-linked but others are not. Also, you can be color blind for neurological reasons (inablility to process color information in the brain) that has nothing to do with the eyes themselves. This can come from trauma or neurological diseases. You can even have a partial color blindness in only one eye or in just part of the visual field. And even this can come from trauma, disease, or mutations occuring de novo during gestation, so that only some of your tissues have the mutation, but not all.

Anyways, the short and the long is that some traits have very complex mechanisms, some of which have yet to be fully determined. :)

R

Ryosuke

im in biology right now and genetics are from both sides of the family yet it CAN skip a generation so you can have the genetics from your parents, parents. But its rare to get 50% from your mom and 50% from your dad... but either way it equals up... 80% 20% ... 30% 70% ... you get the point.. ****, for all i kno you could baldness from both... it just determns what side of the family it runs on ..

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I know why hair loss occurs, usually high testosterone and its conversion to dht.

as for blue-green color blindness... that is a new one. I do not see how it would be possible to have trouble with blue and green and not their co-cone buddies.. yellow and red... That is something I have never heard of, so you must have some optic nerve damage(mal-normality).. or occipital lobe damage(mal-normality)..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Graphite said:
well I know why hair loss occurs, usually high testosterone and its conversion to dht.

as for blue-green color blindness... that is a new one. I do not see how it would be possible to have trouble with blue and green and not their co-cone buddies.. yellow and red... That is something I have never heard of, so you must have some optic nerve damage(mal-normality).. or occipital lobe damage(mal-normality)..

Not really. My classification is a tri-color abnormal or anomalous trichromaticity, meaning I can see blue and green but due to a an abnormal pigment I have difficulty distinguishing shades of blue and green. It's not that uncommon and not necessarily neurological in origin.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why didn't you say you had trichromaticity thats pretty normal, all you have a problem with is your reduced pigment, so it takes more of the color for you to notice it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Graphite said:
Why didn't you say you had trichromaticity thats pretty normal, all you have a problem with is your reduced pigment, so it takes more of the color for you to notice it.

I guess because in casual conversation no one ever knows what the **** you are talking about if you so that I have an anomalous trichromaticity and invariably end up in a discussion of what trichromatic vision is, what color-blindness means, and why the two are different. After that, when it comes up later, they will just say I'm color blind anyways. I learned about half-way through grad school not to bother with any in-depth discussion in biology or genetics with people that haven't studied it.

Anyways, thanks so much for the correction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.