Garage Band - store settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi everyone and a happy New Year :)

I've been using GarageBand for a while now to record audio for YouTube. I love the interface and its sheer simplicity apart from one thing - having to dial in the EQ settings every time I open it to make a new recording.

Is there any way these settings can be set and just left in the app? I can't find anything in settings or any of the drop down menus but that could just be me and not a shortcoming in the app!

thanks as usual, Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I’d have to open up GarageBand as it has been a while (I use Logic Pro tools) but in other audio DAWs we save the custom setting we set in plugins such as eq as a preset. It’s usually done inside the plugin, there’s menu options like settings etc.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The article below may be helpful although I suspect you are already doing this. Use the EQ effect in GarageBand on Mac In the section on changing EQ settings they have the following suggestion:
  • To save custom settings: Choose Save As from the Setting pop-up menu in the Plug-ins area, type a name for the customized settings, then click Save.
You may be already doing this but I have an idea for taking things one step further. You'll probably get a chance to test this before I do:
1. Create a new GarageBand Project of whatever type you normally use.
2. Adjust the EQ and any other settings you normally need to adjust. including EQ.
3. Save the project as a project. When you need it again open that project and save it with a different name.

I did something similar with iMovie by taking a completed project that had been saved. I kept that copy as a template, deleted the unneeded content, and replaced it with new content. I suspect the same thing will work with GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Settings yes. I think it’s relatively the same across audio programs. The key is, is done within the plugin pop window not from the main top menu usually. Most plugins have a set of presets to choose from already, and allows you to save your custom eq settings (or reverb or whatever the plugin) as one of those presets.
It does save a lot of time tho I tend to tweak every time I do something because things sound different and I’m a perfectionist but that’s another topic altogether :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I opened GarageBand, it is a bit different with the built in plugins perhaps. I attached a screenshot of how to save a custom preset. The dropdown will give you a pile of presets for various instruments in eq, as well as a 'save as'. That's what you use, type in your custom name, and it'll save it to that list dropdown for the next time you want to recall it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 5.25.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 5.25.07 PM.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.