G5 iMac a weird problem

H

huck

Hi, I'm on my 3rd iMac, currently a 2Ghz Rev B which I had hoped would be less trouble. Unfortunately, the fans are way too loud (I know this because my 1st iMac was near silent) although the rpm's shown by X Resource Graph show them to be normal speeds. I have tried *every* possible fix to no avail and can only assume that my CPU fan is slightly dodgy. I have tried to ignore itbut it is so annoying when I know how quiet it should be.

I would download X Resource Graph in your situation to help further clarify if it is an abnormally noisy fan or ones that are spinning too fast. Given the fixes you have tried, I reckon it's the former.

I like my iMac but have been really disappointed with my personal experience to date.

D

denmoff77

I'm having similar problems. I've installed 7 imac g5 20" rev B in a lab and used a 10.3.9 image on them. The problem i notice is that the fans will go on when in sleep mode. I've also noticed that a temperature monitoring program that i ran on rev A imac g5s will not detect the temperature on these Rev Bs with 10.3.9. After upgrading them to 10.4.2, the fans stop making noise and the temperature is displayed correctly. Problem for me is that i need them to be 10.3.9. I'd really like to know why 10.3.9 doesn't work right on these Rev B's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.8Ghz iMac G5 512MB
How hot is the room you have it in? Have you checked for dust?

I'd get one of the cpu temp monitor widgets or apps and have a look see. The fans are keyed to both usage and temperature. Even if you're not running anything processor intensive they will come on if the software is showing your temperature to be high.

The design of the g5 imacs is pretty fool proof as far as air channels are concerned, but check to make sure you're not blocking the air intake holes or the exhaust slot any.

S

SuperNova

Hi,
I was wondering what (if there is one) is the average CPU temp for a 17' iMac? When the fans are on it averages at a whopping 76 degrees celsius (168.8 F). Should I be concerned? I've heard that the G5 processor makes the most heat, but still.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.