G5 Dual video card upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
I have a G5 Dual 2.7 PowerMac (water pumper) I named it Stanley Steamer,
It has a 'flashed' Radeon 9800 Pro 128 card and a have a Vizio 26" display, It really doesn't seem to play streaming video (slow) as well as my Mac Pro Quad 266 Nehalem, I really don't Know if the 256 version of the card will help or if the card just isn't that good. As far as DVD or images it works well. So I guess what I'm asking is there some thing better? I don't do any gaming.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a G5 Dual 2.7 PowerMac (water pumper) I named it Stanley Steamer,
It has a 'flashed' Radeon 9800 Pro 128 card and a have a Vizio 26" display, It really doesn't seem to play streaming video (slow) as well as my Mac Pro Quad 266 Nehalem...

Of course your Powermac G5 doesn't stream video as well as your 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro...the Mac Pro is about 4 years newer...and has tremendously faster cpu's and MUCH faster video hardware.

If you think that your PM G5 should be streaming video as good as your Mac Pro...no way...but on the other hand it shouldn't be that bad either.:) Since you mention that the PM G5 has a "flashed" video card...three thoughts:

- First the 9800 Pro did not ever ship with a PM G5 (so maybe it's not running well for that reason)
- 2nd...maybe you would be better off using a stock video card that shipped with your PM G5 (maybe it is designed to run better...better compatibility)
- 3rd...maybe a genuine Macintosh version of the 9800 Pro would run better than the flashed version (if you can find one).

Just some stuff to consider,:)

- Nick

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Darn I want it but not that bad. However this machine is my work horse and a never ending project, 5 2TB HDD's 6 GB Ram with a Panasonic two pump LCS and every other upgrade I can find. Plus it keeps the condo warm in the winter:)

Haha, I know the feeling. I had a Quad Core 2.5GHz G5 with the Quadro FX 4500, 8 Gigs of RAM, Raid 0 set up on the Hard Drives, etc. Just sold it recently.

It was a work horse, but you really can't deny that software for these beasts is getting to be less and less. Which stinks, they're still more than capable in the power department.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G5 Dual 2.7GHz 8GB-Pismo G4 550-PM 8600/800 Hot Rod w/Tiger-PB 1400C Sonnet G3
Darn I want it but not that bad. However this machine is my work horse and a never ending project, 5 2TB HDD's 6 GB Ram with a Panasonic two pump LCS and every other upgrade I can find. Plus it keeps the condo warm in the winter:)

Greetings all, I also have a Apple Powermac G5 Dual 2.7 Ghz and I just completed a rebuild of the Delphi LCS, and was wondering about an upgrade for the video card also, but my question is more specific regarding the LCS.

As I mentioned earlier I have just (this past week) completely disassembled the Delphi LCS , replaced both O-rings, used Loctite gasket sealer, cleaned everything up, flushed the rad, new hoses and clamps. So far things are running smoothly, Temperatures hovering at 48C, with only .5C difference between the 2 CPU's.

FatherTime, I see in your post that you mentioned you have upgraded to the Panasonic LCS with the Dual pumps. My question is that I have on order from eBay a Panasonic LCS from an Apple Powermac G5 Dual 2.5 which I was thinking of trying to put into the 2.7. Do you think this would work if I removed the 2.5 CPU's on the Panasonic LCS and replaced them with my 2.7 and installed the unit in the 2.7.
If this is not feasible I probably will look for a Apple Powermac G5 Dual 2.5
and use the Panasonic in it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC G5 liquid cooled CPU swap

As I mentioned earlier I have just (this past week) completely disassembled the Delphi LCS , replaced both O-rings, used Loctite gasket sealer, cleaned everything up, flushed the rad, new hoses and clamps. So far things are running smoothly, Temperatures hovering at 48C, with only .5C difference between the 2 CPU's.

FatherTime, I see in your post that you mentioned you have upgraded to the Panasonic LCS with the Dual pumps. My question is that I have on order from eBay a Panasonic LCS from an Apple Powermac G5 Dual 2.5 which I was thinking of trying to put into the 2.7. Do you think this would work if I removed the 2.5 CPU's on the Panasonic LCS and replaced them with my 2.7 and installed the unit in the 2.7.
If this is not feasible I probably will look for a Apple Powermac G5 Dual 2.5
and use the Panasonic in it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

No problem with the CPU swap but you need the air intake bezel for the Panasonic LSC it's longer that the one you have. If you need to you can modify it with some metal duct tape. It will be an improvement over the Delphi but it sounds like you did the job right on the Delphi so don't trow it in the trash heap:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G5 Dual 2.7GHz 8GB-Pismo G4 550-PM 8600/800 Hot Rod w/Tiger-PB 1400C Sonnet G3
No problem with the CPU swap but you need the air intake bezel for the Panasonic LSC it's longer that the one you have. If you need to you can modify it with some metal duct tape. It will be an improvement over the Delphi but it sounds like you did the job right on the Delphi so don't trow it in the trash heap:Cool:

That's encouraging news that the 2.5 Panasonic LCS will fit into the 2.7.
I mainly bought it as a backup just in case my handy work sprung a leak again:D

I hadn't even thought about the air intake bezel until I saw one for the Panasonic so scooped that also.

My only other concern is the 6 pin pump connector on the 2.5 Panasonic LCS.
The power connector on the 2.7 Delphi is 4 pin. Will I need to make any modifications for it to work or will it just plug into the 2.7 board connector?

I have never seen any takeapart guides for replacing the coolant in a Panasonic LCS, looks like it may be challenging.

I'm hoping to keep this beast running a while, it's also been an interesting project.

Thanks

OP
FatherTime
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's encouraging news that the 2.5 Panasonic LCS will fit into the 2.7.
I mainly bought it as a backup just in case my handy work sprung a leak again:D

I hadn't even thought about the air intake bezel until I saw one for the Panasonic so scooped that also.

My only other concern is the 6 pin pump connector on the 2.5 Panasonic LCS.
The power connector on the 2.7 Delphi is 4 pin. Will I need to make any modifications for it to work or will it just plug into the 2.7 board connector?

I have never seen any takeapart guides for replacing the coolant in a Panasonic LCS, looks like it may be challenging.

I'm hoping to keep this beast running a while, it's also been an interesting project.

Thanks

I don't recall an issue with the power connector. But if there is please inform me. You need ASD 2.5.7 or ASD 2.5.8 to calibrate after the swap. Your observent to snag the intake bezel they're kinda rare. As far as the rebuild on the Panasonic LCS it's easier than the GM Delphi, however I doubt it will ever leak. The "Stanley Steamer's" rock.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't recall an issue with the power connector. But if there is please inform me. You need ASD 2.5.7 or ASD 2.5.8 to calibrate after the swap. Your observent to snag the intake bezel they're kinda rare. As far as the rebuild on the Panasonic LCS it's easier than the GM Delphi, however I doubt it will ever leak. The "Stanley Steamer's" rock.:)

I should have the Panasonic LCS end of next week sometime so I will be able to see if the power connector fits. It's good to know the Panasonic LCS is easier to rebuild than the Delphi....hope I never have to do it though:eek:

I thought Thermal calibration was only required if you used different CPU's?
I will be using my 2.7 CPU's on the 2.5 Panasonic LCS hopefully.
When I reinstalled the 2.7 rebuild, fans and such were normal and quiet...
before the rebuild and things went wacky the fans reved so fast and loud I thought the case was going to levitate:D

I am still considering a Video card upgrade also, but in a bit of a fog about it.

I do appreciate your expertise and help on this LCS project and will keep you updated.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.