G4 won't boot from HD

Reaction score
I have a G4, 867 MHz (single), 512 MB RAM. I can boot to the OSX install DVD just fine. I can complete the installation just fine. However, after installation the computer will not boot to the OS. It goes along like it is going to boot and then it just stops(freezes)--not always at the same point in the boot process--sometimes it gets further along than other times. I have swapped out the HD, I have swapped out the memory. Still same results--I can re-install OS from DVD just fine, but then it won't boot to OS. Boots from DVD just fine.

I am installing OSX Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I can re-install OS from DVD just fine,
Are you doing archive and install? and with this
I have swapped out the HD
what did u use in its place?

Reaction score
Did you set the jumpers right on the new drive. You should format the new drive before you install the OS.

OP
E
Reaction score
Fresh install of OS...HD jumpers set, formatted drive.

Will boot just fine if I hold the shift key down and boot into Safe Boot. Runs fine, install apps, browse internet, etc. However, when I click on either Shudown or Restart, the computer freezes.

And, still will not boot into normal mode, only into Safe mode....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.